Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Orange in Orange County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

St. Mary's Catholic Church

 
 
St. Mary's Catholic Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cajun Scrambler, October 4, 2019
1. St. Mary's Catholic Church Marker
Inscription.  
The earliest recorded Catholic Mass in the area was conducted by the Rev. P. F. Parisot in 1853, five years before the city of Orange was incorporated. In 1879 the Rev. Vital Quinon (d.1894), a native of France, came to Orange at the request of the local railroad superintendent Charles A. Barton, who was concerned about the city's reputation as a rowdy and lawless industrial town. Known as the "Fighting Priest," Father Quinon provided the leadership necessary for the formation of this church. Established as St. Vital's it originally served a parish comprised primarily of German, Austrian, Irish, and Polish immigrants.

Significant growth began in 1896 when the Rev. J. M. Moran (1859-1922) of Ireland was assigned as the first resident priest of the parish. The congregational name was changed to St. Mary's in 1912 and a school and cemetery were established in the 1920s.

Prominent church leaders have included the Rev. George Berberich (d.1947) of Germany, who came here in 1929, and his brother the Rev. Msgr. Joseph Berberich (d.1980), who joined him in 1937. Through their guidance, St. Mary's Catholic Church developed as a leader in

Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
community involvement, in quality education, and in the establishment of area missions.
 
Erected 1981 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11511.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
 
Location. 30° 5.876′ N, 93° 44.286′ W. Marker is in Orange, Texas, in Orange County. Marker is on West Cherry Street east of 9th Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 912 West Cherry Street, Orange TX 77630, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Christian Church of Orange (approx. 0.2 miles away); Cox House (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Woman's Club of Orange (approx. 0.3 miles away); Mount Zion Missionary Baptist Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); First United Methodist Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Black Education in Orange County (approx. 0.3 miles away); Lutcher Memorial Church Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); Orange Chamber of Commerce (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Orange.
 
St. Mary's Catholic Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cajun Scrambler, October 4, 2019
2. St. Mary's Catholic Church Marker
St. Mary's Catholic Church Marker image. Click for full size.
October 4, 2019
3. St. Mary's Catholic Church Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 12, 2019. It was originally submitted on October 12, 2019, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 226 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 12, 2019, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana.   3. submitted on October 12, 2019.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=140978

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 20, 2024