Halifax in Halifax Regional Municipality, Nova Scotia — The Canadian Atlantic
William Henry Chase
A native of Kings County, Chase made his fortune as a shipper of potatoes and apples, warehouse developer and speculator in Annapolis Valley fruits. Active in the Nova Scotia Fruit Grower’s Association, he initiated apple shipments direct from Port Williams to England in 1919, eliminating the cost and problems of shipment via Halifax. He had extensive interests in power, paper and lumber companies in the province and abroad. A noted philanthropist, Chase generously supported provincial universities and local hospitals. In 1930 he donated the money to erect this archives building.
Natif du comté de Kings, Chase fit fortune dans l’expédition de pommes et de pommes de terre, la promotion d’entrepôts et la spéculation sur les fruits de la vallée d’Annapolis. Il inaugura en 1919 l’expédition directe de pommes de Port Williams vers l’Angleterre, éliminant les frais et les problèmes du détour par Halifax. Il investit considérablement dans l’industrie, provinciale et étrangère, de l'énergie et des pâtes et papiers. Grand philanthrope, il soutint les universités provinciales et
Erected 1940 by Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada/Commission des lieux et monuments historiques du Canada.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Canada, Historic Sites and Monuments Board marker series.
Location. 44° 38.217′ N, 63° 35.602′ W. Marker is in Halifax, Nova Scotia, in Halifax Regional Municipality. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Castine Way and Lord Dalhousie Drive, on the right when traveling east. Marker is located near the sidewalk, near the southwest corner of the Chase Building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6316 Coburg Road, Halifax, Nova Scotia B3H 4J1, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Halifax and Castine / Halifax et Castine (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); John William Ritchie (approx. 0.8 kilometers away); Lieut. Henry Edward Clonard Keating (approx. one kilometer away); Summer House / Pavillon d'été (approx. one kilometer away); Drinking Fountain / Fontaine d'eau potable (approx. one kilometer away); Unveiling, Jubilee Fountain / Inauguration, Fontaine du Jubilé (approx. one kilometer "Hamilton" Flower-bed arrangement (approx. one kilometer away); Public Garden Foundation Fountain (approx. 1.1 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Halifax.
Also see . . . The Chase Building. Designed by Halifax architect Andrew R. Cobb, who collaborated on the Macdonald Building, the University Club and Shirreff Hall, the land was donated by Dalhousie's Board of Governors to provide a home for the Public Archives of Nova Scotia. It was the first provincial archives building built in Canada. Funding came from longtime Board member William Henry Chase, who tried to remain an anonymous benefactor, but whose identity came out during the opening ceremonies of the building. (Submitted on October 12, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Industry & Commerce •
More. Search the internet for William Henry Chase.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 12, 2019. This page originally submitted on October 12, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 53 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 12, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.