Mackinaw City in Cheboygan County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Crossroads of the Great Lakes
Strategically located at the meeting of Lake Michigan and Lake Huron, the Straits of Mackinac have been a Crossroads of the Great Lakes since 1670.
The Forts at Mackinaw City, Mackinac Island and St. Ignace formed a "triangle of history," that has been crossed by Indians, Missionaries, Fur Traders, Soldiers, Ore Ships, Railroads, and Tourists countless times.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Forts and Castles. A significant historical year for this entry is 1670.
Location. 45° 47.243′ N, 84° 43.684′ W. Marker is in Mackinaw City, Michigan, in Cheboygan County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of North Huron Avenue and Henry Street, on the right when traveling west. Marker is on the east side of Alexander Henry Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 518 North Huron Avenue, Mackinaw City MI 49701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Shipwrecks in the Straits (here, next to this marker); Building Mighty Mac (within shouting distance of this marker); Graveyard of the Deep (within shouting distance of this marker); Alexander Henry Park Kiosk Alexander Henry 1739 - 1834 (within shouting distance of this marker); Radio Beacon 1937/1938 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fog Signal Station (about 300 feet away); Old Mackinac Point Lighthouse (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mackinaw City.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 17, 2019. It was originally submitted on October 17, 2019, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 119 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 17, 2019, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.