Dover in Kent County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Calvary Baptist Church
Calvary Baptist Church-On January 26, 1883, the Delaware Baptist Union was formally incorporated by the state legislature. The purpose of the organization was to spread the message of the denomination and promote the erection and maintenance of houses of religious worship. Soon thereafter a group of African-American residents of Dover who had accepted the Baptist faith began to hold meetings in private homes and a local store. In 1884 the Delaware Baptist Union purchased land at this location on which to build a permanent home for the congregation. The new church was officially dedicated on July 10, 1887. Known as Calvary Baptist Church, it was the second African-American Baptist church to be established in the state. The property was formally conveyed to the trustees of the church in 1924. After a long period of sporadic growth, the congregation experienced an unprecedented expansion in the 1980s under the leadership of Reverend Richard M. Avant. Having outgrown the old facility, a major construction project was undertaken. In 1983, land adjoining the church was provided by William T. and Iris O. Wilson, and Wilson A. and Betty M. Waters. The
By Don Morfe, October 13, 2019
1. Calvary Baptist Church Marker
building was expanded to include a full basement, offices, choir room, and enlarged chapel. The project was completed in 1986. Today, Calvary Baptist Church continues to served as a cultural and spiritual center for the residents of the greater Dover community.
By Don Morfe, October 13, 2019
2. Calvary Baptist Church Marker
Erected 2004 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number KC-87.)
Location. 39° 9.708′ N, 75° 31.878′ W. Marker is in Dover, Delaware, in Kent County. Marker is at the intersection of N. Queen Street and Fulton Street on N. Queen Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 410 Fulton Street, Dover DE 19904, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mount Zion African Methodist Episcopal Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Wesley College (approx. ¼ mile away); Annie Jump Cannon (approx. 0.3 miles away); Former Site of ILC Dover (approx. 0.3 miles away); Site of Dover's First Methodist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Richardson and Robbins Complex (approx. 0.4 miles away); World War II Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Pearl Harbor Survivors Association, Inc. (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dover.
Categories. • African Americans • Churches & Religion •
More. Search the internet for Calvary Baptist Church.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 19, 2019. This page originally submitted on October 19, 2019, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 54 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 19, 2019, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.