Savannah in Chatham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
first public building erected in
Georgia, John Wesley preached
his first sermon on American soil.
March 7, 1736 (OS)
Text- 1 Corinthians XIII
— • —
This tablet commemorates the Bi-Centenary
of his birth, June 28,1903
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Colonial Era.
Location. 32° 4.842′ N, 81° 5.478′ W. Marker is in Savannah, Georgia, in Chatham County. Marker is on Bull St near Bay St., on the left when traveling south. On the West wall of the United States Customs House, Savannah. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Savannah GA 31401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. United States Customhouse (a few steps from this marker); Oglethorpe's House (a few steps from this marker); The "John Randolph" (within shouting distance of this marker); The Savannah (within shouting distance of this Savannah City Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Central Railroad & Bank Bldg. (within shouting distance of this marker); Johnson Square (within shouting distance of this marker); Savannah Historic District (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Savannah.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. To better understand the relationship,see other Wesley markers shown.
Also see . . . John Wesley. Methodists, under Wesley's direction, became leaders in many social justice issues of the day (Submitted on December 5, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 8, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 5, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,170 times since then and 37 times this year. It was the Marker of the Week February 24, 2013. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 5, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.