Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Clayton in Kent County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Byrd's African Methodist Episcopal Church

 
 
Byrd's Africian Methodist Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, October 13, 2019
1. Byrd's Africian Methodist Episcopal Church Marker
Inscription.  In the early 1890s Clayton was home to an increasing population of African-Americans, many of whom were railroad workers. Byrd's African Methodist Episcopal (A.M.E.) Church was built in 1894 to accommodate this growing community who previously had to walk several miles to Mount Friendship Church for services. The land was purchased from Willis C. Dickerson by the trustees of the Clayton A.M.E. Church for 100 dollars on July 13, 1894. The Church takes its name from Reverend Elijah Byrd who served as pastor for both Mt. Friendship Church and the newly established Byrd's A.M.E. Church. The two congregations maintained very close ties and in 1901 they jointly purchased five acres of land from John P. Hudson for the formation of an annual ten day camp-meeting intended to raise funds and provide an inspirational vacation for members. Byrd's A.M.E. Church was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1982 and continues to serve the spiritual needs of the Clayton community.
 
Erected 2012 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number KC-112.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed
Byrd's Africian Methodist Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, October 13, 2019
2. Byrd's Africian Methodist Episcopal Church Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
in these topic lists: African AmericansChurches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church ⛪, and the Delaware Public Archives series lists. A significant historical date for this entry is July 13, 1894.
 
Location. 39° 17.532′ N, 75° 37.602′ W. Marker is in Clayton, Delaware, in Kent County. Marker is on Dickerson Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 131 Dickerson Street, Clayton DE 19938, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dedicated To All Who Served (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); "First in the World" (approx. ¼ mile away); Town of Clayton (approx. 0.3 miles away); Clayton Veterans Park (approx. 0.3 miles away); Site of the Duck Creek Society of Friends (approx. one mile away); St. Peter's Episcopal Church (approx. one mile away); a different marker also named "First in the World" (approx. one mile away); Thornley House (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clayton.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 31, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 20, 2019, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 90 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 20, 2019, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=141340

Paid Advertisement
Jul. 24, 2021