Scottsdale in Maricopa County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
1929 - U.S. Post Office
1929 - 1949 U.S. Post Office
1949 - Present Porters Western Wear
Built in 1929 as Scottsdale's first full time post office, this structure served as a gathering place for local townsfolk and nearby Indians awaiting daily mail from Phoenix. Although the second floor housed offices, postal operations continued on the lower level until 1949 when the post office moved and Porters Western Wear occupied the building.
Erected by Scottsdale Historical Society.
Location. 33° 29.61′ N, 111° 55.476′ W. Marker is in Scottsdale, Arizona, in Maricopa County. Marker can be reached from North Brown Avenue 0.1 miles south of East First Avenue, on the right when traveling south. Located at Porters Western Saloon. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Scottsdale AZ 85251, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 1921 - Sterling Drug Store (within shouting distance of this marker); 1921 - Farmers State Bank (within shouting distance of this marker); Winfield Scott Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured Scottsdale Grammar School / The Little Red Schoolhouse (about 400 feet away); Our Lady of Perpetual Help Catholic Church (about 500 feet away); Permanent Home of the "Beavers" (about 700 feet away); Herbert "Herb" R. Drinkwater (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Chaplain (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Scottsdale.
Also see . . . Porters Western Saloon. (Submitted on October 20, 2019, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
More. Search the internet for 1929 - U.S. Post Office.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 20, 2019. This page originally submitted on October 20, 2019, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 56 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 20, 2019, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.