De Steiguer Building
One of the few historic downtown structures with a facade of Oklahoma's native red sandstone, the building was a grace note for the street with its double oriels, each flanked by arched windows outlined with two shades of coursed stone.
The De Steiguers and their troubled bank soon passed from
the scene. The building saw many changes in occupants and
numerous tax-title changes in ownership before reaching the
tranquility of its present ownership and occupancies.
Erected 1980 by the Donald W. Reynolds Foundation.
Location. 35° 52.687′ N, 97° 25.489′ W. Marker is in Guthrie, Oklahoma, in Logan County. Marker is on East
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Oklahoma Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Gray Bros. Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Smith’s 2-Story Privy (within shouting distance of this marker); Brooks Opera House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Rough Riders (about 400 feet away); First City Hall (about 500 feet away); Guthrie Daily Leader (about 500 feet away); Land Office (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Guthrie.
Regarding De Steiguer Building. The DeSteiguer Building in downtown Guthrie was constructed in 1890, just after the Land Run of 1889 which opened up this part of Indian Territory for settlement. It has an entrance to the second level on the west, which is located at the center of the building, giving the impression of a single building. At one time the building on the right housed a Radio Shack.
Categories. • Architecture • Industry & Commerce •
More. Search the internet for De Steiguer Building.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 3, 2019. This page originally submitted on October 22, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 44 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 22, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.