Chester Township in Clinton County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Jonah’s Run Baptist Church / Underwood Farms Rural Historic District
Jonah’s Run Baptist Church. The comingling of faiths in an area settled predominantly by Quakers helps explain the origins of Jonah’s Run Baptist Church. Ministered to by a Baptist preacher, the children and neighbors of Daniel Collett (1752-1835), an Episcopalian and private in the Revolutionary War, and his wife Mary Haines Collett (1753-1826), a Quaker from Virginia, became Baptists and started the church in 1838. Levi Lukens (1767-1860), a Quaker from Pennsylvania by way of Virginia, purchased the land where the church stands in 1812 and sold it in 1839 to a founder of the congregation. Like local Ouaker meetinghouses, the church had separate entrances for men and women and a partition between the two that divided the sanctuary. The congregation’s sons and daughters lived their faith. Howard McCune (1852-1923) was the Clinton Baptist Association’s moderator and president of the Ohio Baptist Convention’s state board. Anne Cossum (1894-1977) was a missionary in China from 1920-1927.
Underwood Farms Rural Historic District. The District, listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2005, preserves
Erected 2019 by Jonah’s Run Baptist Church and The Ohio History Connection. (Marker Number 12-14.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 39° 29.775′ N, 83° 58.774′ W. Marker is in Chester Township, Ohio, in Clinton County. Marker is on Ohio Route Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9614 OH-73, Wilmington OH 45177, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Bullskin Trace (approx. 1.1 miles away); Harveysburg / The Harveysburg School (approx. 1½ miles away); Chester Township Veterans Memorial (approx. 5.2 miles away); Unknown Union Soldier (approx. 5.2 miles away); John Evans House (approx. 6.1 miles away); Friends Burial Ground (approx. 6.4 miles away); Engle Mill Road Covered Bridge (approx. 6.7 miles away); Clarksville Veterans Memorial (approx. 6.9 miles away).
Also see . . . Ohio Historic Marker Unveiling. Excerpt:
In 2015, before they could put up a nearby cell tower, the company had to gift $9500 to a nearby Historic Entity; in our case the Underwood Farms Historic District. It includes the three former Underwood houses and 280 acres of land, plus Jonah’s Run Baptist Church.(Submitted on October 23, 2019.)
As a condition for the funds to go to JR, we agreed to use $3800 to put up a Historic Marker, and we’ve already used most of the remaining money to improve the inside of the church. Today, we are here to unveil the Historic Marker in the grass area just east of the church parking lot.
Categories. Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Jonah’s Run Baptist Church / Underwood Farms Rural Historic District.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 23, 2019. This page originally submitted on October 23, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 41 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 23, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photos of the East Brick farm, West Brick farm, and the Tower House • photo of the brick fruit storage building • photo(s) of the interior of the church • Can you help?