Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cotton Plant in Woodruff County, Arkansas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Woodruff County Courthouse

Cotton Plant

 
 
Woodruff County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, October 23, 2019
1. Woodruff County Courthouse Marker
Inscription.  At this location in August 1902, the Woodruff County Courthouse in Cotton Plant was completed. Built by C.W. Clark and designed by noted Arkansas architect Charles L. Thompson, the courthouse was erected to serve the southern district of the county. A second courthouse of similar appearance, also designed by Thompson, was finished in December 1902 in the county seat of Augusta. The Cotton Plant Courthouse was a stately two story, red brick structure with a clock tower constructed in the Romanesque style.
(Continued)

[Reverse]

(Continued from other side)
In 1905, the courthouse provided classroom space to the Cotton Plant School while it was being rebuilt after a fire. Eventually, the southern district was discontinued in 1931 and courthouse operations were consolidated with Augusta. The building was used again by the Cotton Plant School and then later acquired by the local Masonic Lodge. The courthouse ultimately fell Into disrepair and was demolished by the Lodge. All that remain now are the cornerstone, located next to Richmond Lodge #94, and the original judges
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
bench on display at the Cotton Plant Historical Museum.
 
Erected 2018 by the Department of Arkansas Heritage & Cotton Plant Historical Museum. (Marker Number 1.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Architecture. A significant historical month for this entry is August 1902.
 
Location. 35° 0.275′ N, 91° 15.277′ W. Marker is in Cotton Plant, Arkansas, in Woodruff County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (Arkansas Route 38) and South Gum Street, on the right when traveling east on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 409 Main Street, Cotton Plant AR 72036, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Battle of Cache River or Cotton Plant (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sister Rosetta Tharpe (approx. 0.2 miles away); Action at Cotton Plant (approx. 0.3 miles away); American Legion Memorial (approx. 8.8 miles away); 100 West Cyprus Street (approx. 8.8 miles away); 1921 Brass Bell (approx. 8.8 miles away); Louis Jordan (approx. 8.8 miles away); Willie Cobbs (approx. 8.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cotton Plant.
 
Woodruff County Courthouse Marker (reverse) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, October 23, 2019
2. Woodruff County Courthouse Marker (reverse)
Location of former Woodruff County Courthouse (cornerstone mentioned is on right of building). image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, October 23, 2019
3. Location of former Woodruff County Courthouse (cornerstone mentioned is on right of building).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 24, 2019. It was originally submitted on October 24, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 249 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 24, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=141555

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 24, 2024