Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Guthrie in Logan County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
 

Guthrie City Hall

 
 
Guthrie City Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, October 22, 2019
1. Guthrie City Hall Marker
Inscription.  Guthrie's building spree peaked April 9, 1902, with laying the corner stone for its commodious City Hall, designed by Joseph Foucart in his best belfry and turret style. The building's second floor assembly room was used for the Constitutional Convention beginning November 1906, as elected delegates hammered out Oklahoma's State Constitution.

Almost as soon as the villages of Guthrie united into a city, a fitting municipal building for the Territorial Capital was envisioned, and lots were purchased in 1891. When built, the $25,000.00 City Hall held all city offices and a jail as well as the assembly room.

The assembly room was freely used for civic purposes: inaugural balls for Territorial Governor Frank Frantz and first State Governor Charles N. Haskell; early county fairs; and many public events through the years, including basketball games during the 1920's. Use was denied Carry A. Nation in 1906 however, on one of her prohibition speaking tours, to her bitter and vocal fury.

Somehow, the City Hall lots were not removed from the county's tax rolls, and in November 1912, F. L. Williams paid the $7.45 taxes due

Guthrie City Hall and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, October 22, 2019
2. Guthrie City Hall and Marker
and received title to the lots. He sold them back to the City, for $8.00 in December 1915.

By a slender margin, bonds were voted for a new City Hall and the old building was razed in July 1955. Bricks from the old building were used for the entryway paving of the entryway paving of the present structure.
 
Erected 1980 by the Donald W. Reynolds Foundation.
 
Location. 35° 52.69′ N, 97° 25.661′ W. Marker is in Guthrie, Oklahoma, in Logan County. Marker is at the intersection of North 2nd Street and West Oklahoma Avenue, on the left when traveling north on North 2nd Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 North 2nd Street, Guthrie OK 73044, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Post Office (within shouting distance of this marker); Bonfils Building (within shouting distance of this marker); U. S. Government Land Office (within shouting distance of this marker); De Ford Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Guthrie National Bank (about 300 feet away); Office of E.P. McCabe (about 300 feet away); Land Office (about 300 feet away); Reeves Brothers Casino (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Guthrie.
 
Categories. Notable Buildings

 

More. Search the internet for Guthrie City Hall.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 26, 2019. This page originally submitted on October 26, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 41 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 26, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement