Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Guthrie in Logan County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
 

U. S. Government Land Office

 
 
U. S. Government Land Office Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, October 22, 2019
1. U. S. Government Land Office Marker
Inscription.  With the opening of the approximately two million acres of "Oklahoma Country" for homestead settlement at 12 noon Monday, April 22, 1889, thousands of settlers rushed to claim free land. Those making claims were required by law to register at one of two U. S. Government Offices, one located at Kingfisher and one at Guthrie.

The modest 18 x 30 feet false fronted frame building of the U. S. Land Office stood alone that day, capping the hill east of the railroad station. Almost immediately, it was surrounded by hundreds of eager settlers, attempting to register claims. By nightfall, it stood in a sea of tents that collectively made up Guthrie.

The Kansas City Gazette of April 23 reported; "The crowd around the land office is too great to be numbered. Those who did not get to file their claims last night slept where they were in line to be on hand this morning."

The Land Office continued it's "land office business" rush for weeks as the thousands of homesteaders filed claims and counterclaims for free land. Lines of claimants crowded "Hell's Half Acre" outside the Office.

Land Office Register John Dillie of Huntington,

U. S. Government Land Office Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, October 22, 2019
2. U. S. Government Land Office Marker
Ind. and Receiver Casius Barnes of Fayetteville, Ark., who became the 5th territorial governor in 1897 worked all day and late into the night on many occasions. In many cases more than one individual claimed a single piece of land, leading to bitter arguments and court disputes that lasted for years afterwards.

After a brick U. S. Post office was built in 1903 on "Hell's Half Acre" the old frame land office was removed.
 
Erected 1980 by the Donald W. Reynolds Foundation.
 
Location. 35° 52.66′ N, 97° 25.65′ W. Marker is in Guthrie, Oklahoma, in Logan County. Marker is on South 2nd Street south of West Oklahoma Avenue, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: South 2nd Street, Guthrie OK 73044, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bonfils Building (a few steps from this marker); De Ford Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Post Office (within shouting distance of this marker); Office of E.P. McCabe (within shouting distance of this marker); Reeves Brothers Casino (within shouting distance of this marker); Guthrie City Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Blue Bell Bar (within

Land Office in Oklahoma (probably the Guthrie Land Office). image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton
3. Land Office in Oklahoma (probably the Guthrie Land Office).
shouting distance of this marker); Land Office (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Guthrie.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
 
Also see . . .  Wikipedia on the Land Rush of 1889. (Submitted on October 26, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
Categories. Notable BuildingsNotable Events
 

More. Search the internet for U. S. Government Land Office.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 26, 2019. This page originally submitted on October 26, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 48 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 26, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement