Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Guthrie in Logan County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
 

De Ford Building

 
 
De Ford Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, October 22, 2019
1. De Ford Building Marker
Inscription.  Built in 1890 by Irwin S. DeFord, self-described "money-lender" and capitalist, the DeFord Building is perhaps the gem of Joseph Foucart's architecture in Downtown Guthrie.

The sidewall, facing "Government Acre" surrounding the Land Office, is even more distinguished than its front, featuring contrasting-colored arched windows with worked wooden fans above corbelled brick, with a small turret marking the south end. Detailed acanthus leaves decorate capitals of defining pillars.

DeFord lived upstairs in the building when completed, and the New York Clothiers (Cohen and Strauss) were on the first floor. By 1892, however, the U. S. Post Office temporarily replaced the clothing store. Offices for lawyers were located on the 2nd floor. The U. S. Courtroom was located in the basement until the Federal Building (Post Office and Courtroom) was completed in 1903.

Flora M. Wills purchased the building in 1904. She and her first husband Joseph Wills, operated their general store there. Later, the store was used exclusively for furniture, and they added the Willis Building immediately south in 1914.

After Willis died, his widow

De Ford Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, October 22, 2019
2. De Ford Building Marker
operated the store alone until she married E. W. Kightlinger in 1923, and he joined her in the business. She died in 1955 and Mr. Kightliner continued operation of the store through 1981. Both the Deford and the Willis Buildings have been scrupulously maintained by the owners.

Mr. Kightlinger (whose picture is shown) deeded the DeFord Building as a gift to the Logan County Historical Society on December 7, 1981.
 
Erected 1980 by the Donald W. Reynolds Foundation.
 
Location. 35° 52.647′ N, 97° 25.652′ W. Marker is in Guthrie, Oklahoma, in Logan County. Marker is on South 2nd Street south of West Oklahoma Avenue, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: South 2nd Street, Guthrie OK 73044, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Office of E.P. McCabe (a few steps from this marker); U. S. Government Land Office (within shouting distance of this marker); Bonfils Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Reeves Brothers Casino (within shouting distance of this marker); Blue Bell Bar (within shouting distance of this marker); Post Office (within shouting distance of this marker); International Building

Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
(within shouting distance of this marker); Same Old Moses Saloon (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Guthrie.
 
Categories. ArchitectureNotable Buildings
 

More. Search the internet for De Ford Building.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 26, 2019. This page originally submitted on October 26, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 112 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 26, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement