Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Columbus in Franklin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Lindey's

1884

 
 
Lindey's Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, October 13, 2019
1. Lindey's Marker
Inscription.  
The 1884 building at the southwest corner of Beck and Mohawk streets has housed many businesses: a grocery, at least two saloons, a hardware store and, allegedly, a speakeasy during Prohibition. In the 1940s and 1950s, King's Rose Garden was here, dubbed the "Bucket of Blood" for its notorious violence. Other restaurants followed in the late 1960s and onward: the Lindenhog, Albert P. Grubb's, Barney's and the Palmer House.

Since 1981, it has been the home of Lindey's, the creation of Sue Doody, an entrepreneur who recognized the need for a high-quality dining establishment in Germany Village. Lindey's is a perennial favorite restaurant among German Village's denizens and visitors, and the city's powerbrokers; its outdoor patio is especially popular.

GermanVillage.com/explore

Historic German Village

Image caption: The popularity and location of the Lindey's building made it an ideal spot for early outdoor advertising signage.
 
Erected by German Village Society.
 
Location. 39° 57.044′ 
Lindey's and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, October 13, 2019
2. Lindey's and Marker
Marker is to the right of the four front windows.
N, 82° 59.626′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Ohio, in Franklin County. Marker is at the intersection of East Beck Street and Mohawk Street, on the right when traveling east on East Beck Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 169 East Beck Street, Columbus OH 43206, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Circa 1872 (a few steps from this marker); Brick Protest and Taking Action (within shouting distance of this marker); Circa 1875 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bricks with Names (about 300 feet away); Frank Fetch Park (about 500 feet away); Frank Fetch (about 500 feet away); Former Site of St. Mary's School and Convent (about 700 feet away); Year of Construction Early 1900s (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
 
Also see . . .  As the Tables Turn. History of Lindey's on the restaurant's website. (Submitted on October 27, 2019, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.) 
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceNotable Buildings
 

More. Search the internet for Lindey's.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 28, 2019. This page originally submitted on October 27, 2019, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 62 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 27, 2019, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.
Paid Advertisement