Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Visalia in Tulare County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Venice School

 
 
Venice School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dr. Samuel Gregg George Chapter No. 1855 E Clampus Vitus, December 8, 2002
1. Venice School Marker
Inscription.  Within one-eighth mile of this site was Woodville, the first settlement and county seat of Tulare County. It was named after John Wood, the leader of a party of eighteen from Mariposa mines, who built a log cabin and who was killed here by Indians in the fall of 1850 along with fifteen of his party. In 1852, under an oak tree near that cabin, the county of Tulare was formed out of the Southern part of Mariposa County and the cabin became the county seat. The settlement that sprang up here was called Woodville or Woodsville. In 1854 the county seat of government was moved to a new settlement eight miles west of here called Visalia. The people of this area started possíbly the first school in Tulare County. It was named the Woodville School District and remained so until the 1880's when the name was changed to Venice. Over the years the name of the area and the village had become known as Venice because of the abundance of water and the many streams and canals. The hills just north of the school were known as the Venice Hills. The Goad family deeded the property on which this the new school was built in 1898. It remained an active school and the
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
only remnant of the oldest school in Tulare County until 1957 when the district ceded to the Ivanhoe District. The property reverted to the Goad family who in turn sold it to the Bente family who kept the school building safe. In 1995 a group of parents and educators formed the Venice Community School Inc. The school opened again in 1996 as a private school.
 
Erected 1999 by Dr. Samuel Gregg George Chapter 1855 of E Clampus Vitus.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
 
Location. 36° 21.346′ N, 119° 10.287′ W. Marker is in Visalia, California, in Tulare County. Marker is at the intersection of Road 180 and Avenue 312, on the left when traveling north on Road 180. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 31191 Road 180, Visalia CA 93292, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Tulare County Election Tree (approx. 0.3 miles away); San Joaquin Roller Mill (approx. 2 miles away); The Electric Railroad (approx. 4.3 miles away); Farmersville (approx. 4.4 miles away); Woodlake (approx. 5.8 miles away); Packwood Station (approx. 6.3 miles away); Camp Babbitt (approx. 6.7 miles away); The Hanging of J.G. McCrory (approx. 6.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Visalia.
 
Categories.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
EducationGovernment & PoliticsSettlements & Settlers
 

More. Search the internet for Venice School.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 17, 2019. This page originally submitted on October 28, 2019, by Frank Gunshow Sanchez of Hollister, California. This page has been viewed 58 times since then and 2 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on October 28, 2019, by Frank Gunshow Sanchez of Hollister, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide area view of the marker and its surroundings. • Photo of the schoolhouse. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement