Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sandusky in Erie County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Old Sandusky Post Office

 
 
Old Sandusky Post Office Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 7, 2019
1. Old Sandusky Post Office Marker
Inscription.  This U.S. Post Office building, Sandusky’s third, opened in 1927, replacing a smaller building at Columbus Avenue and Market Street. It is notable for its fine Neoclassical-style architecture and its unusual curved portico. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1982. For sixty years it served as Sandusky’s business center, where merchants shipped and received goods and banks transferred money. During this time it also housed local offices for several federal agencies, including U.S. Customs, the National Weather Service, armed forces recruiting, and the Federal Bureau of Investigation. The U.S. Geological Survey disk embedded in the front steps serves as a benchmark for surveyors and scientists. Closed in 1987, the historic Sandusky Post Office building reopened as a museum in 1990.
 
Erected 2001 by the Ohio Bicentennial Commission, the Longaberger Company, Huron City Schools, The Merry Go Round Museum, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 18-22.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture
Old Sandusky Post Office Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 7, 2019
2. Old Sandusky Post Office Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
CommunicationsIndustry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1927.
 
Location. 41° 27.252′ N, 82° 42.778′ W. Marker is in Sandusky, Ohio, in Erie County. Marker is at the intersection of West Washington Street (U.S. 6) and Jackson Street, on the right when traveling east on West Washington Street. It is at the Merry-Go-Round Museum. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 301 Jackson St, Sandusky OH 44870, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. “The Early Birds” (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Boy with the Boot (about 400 feet away); Sandusky / Erie County (about 400 feet away); Jury of Erie County Women / Erie County Courthouse (about 500 feet away); Erie County Jail / Sandusky Library (about 700 feet away); This Concretion (approx. 0.2 miles away); Jay Cooke (approx. 0.2 miles away); Donahue Hardware (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sandusky.
 
Regarding Old Sandusky Post Office. The modest admission fee to the museum includes a ride on a surprisingly fast carousel and a guided tour of the exhibits. The museum restores and repaints carved animals for merry-go-rounds throughout U.S. and the world.
 
Old Sandusky Post Office, Now the Merry-Go-Round Museum image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 7, 2019
3. Old Sandusky Post Office, Now the Merry-Go-Round Museum
Marker is visible on the far right, to the right of the green pole.
Mroow Tigers at the Merry-Go-Round Museum image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, February 15, 2020
4. Mroow Tigers at the Merry-Go-Round Museum
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 24, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 28, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 112 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 28, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.   4. submitted on May 24, 2020, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=141801

Paid Advertisement
Jan. 20, 2022