Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Alpaugh in Tulare County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Alpaugh

 
 
Alpaugh Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dr. Samuel Gregg George Chapter No. 1855 E Clampus Vitus, May 5, 2012
1. Alpaugh Marker
Inscription.  A Wowol Yokuts village called Chaw-Lo-Win existed here on an island in Old Tulare Lake, once the largest fresh water lake in California. In 1859 Allen Atwell and Isaac Goldstein claimed the island. They ferried hogs to the island on rafts to fatten on tule roots, then took them off to the north shore and drove them to the mines and villages to be sold. This island was called Hog Island, Root Island and Atwell's Island. In 1875 Atwell built the first ship on Tulare Lake, the Mose Andross, a 50 foot long by 15 foot wide flat bottomed schooner which was changed to a side wheel steamer in 1876. The ship was used to ferry hogs and cattle and for fishing until the lake subsided and left it high and dry. The dry lake bed area was used for cattle grazing for many years, then in 1906 J.O. Brubaker organized a group of investors and formed a company which purchased 8,861 acres of lake bed land to subdivide into small farms. They placed the town on the high ground and named it Alpaugh after John Alpaugh, one of the company's members. The town had 96 business lots, 708 residential lots along with church and school sites. At first the town had artesian
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
wells which produced both water and natural gas. After a few years these failed and wells were drilled, but insufficient amounts of water were produced. In 1915 an irrigation district was formed and canals built to bring enough water for crops.
First school and post office 1906 First church, Lutheran 1909 First high school 1913
 
Erected 2000 by Dr. Samuel Gregg George Chapter 1855 of E Clampus Vitus.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
 
Location. 35° 53.243′ N, 119° 29.187′ W. Marker is in Alpaugh, California, in Tulare County. Marker can be reached from Road 39 just east of Tule Road, on the right when traveling east. Marker is in front of the school. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5313 Road 39, Alpaugh CA 93201, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pixley Train Robbery (approx. 12.4 miles away); The Forty Acres (approx. 14 miles away).
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers
 

More. Search the internet for Alpaugh.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 17, 2019. This page originally submitted on October 28, 2019, by Frank Gunshow Sanchez of Hollister, California. This page has been viewed 54 times since then and 6 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on October 28, 2019, by Frank Gunshow Sanchez of Hollister, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide area view of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement