Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Columbus in Franklin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Former Site of St. Mary's School and Convent

 
 
Former Site of St. Mary's School and Convent Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, October 13, 2019
1. Former Site of St. Mary's School and Convent Marker
Inscription.  
For over a century, this site was part of St. Mary Catholic Church, established to serve the many German families moving into the area in the 1860s.

A primary mission of St. Mary's parish has been the education of its children. The first parish building, located to the west of this site, was built in 1865 and served as the church, rectory, and schoolhouse.

Joliet Franciscan nuns began teaching at the school in 1875, and a convent was built on the southern portion of this site, near the present gardens.

Rapid parish growth prompted the construction of this schoolhouse in 1887. An expansion in 1896 doubled its size. Grade school classes were held in the building for 69 years, when a new grade school was built south of the church. St. Mary's High School relocated here in 1956.

After graduating its last class in 1968, the property was sold and converted to commercial use. A historic renovation was completed in 2015, and the building is now a private residence.


German Village

Caretakers of a Legacy
Chairman's Award
2016

 
Location.
Former Site of St. Mary's School and Convent Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, October 13, 2019
2. Former Site of St. Mary's School and Convent Marker
39° 56.929′ N, 82° 59.622′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Ohio, in Franklin County. Marker is on Mohawk Street south of East Sycamore Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 673 Mohawk Street, Columbus OH 43206, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Mary Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Circa Mid 1888 (about 500 feet away); Year of Construction Early 1900s (about 600 feet away); Bricks with Names (about 600 feet away); Circa 1864 (about 700 feet away); Lindey's (about 700 feet away); Brick Protest and Taking Action (about 700 feet away); Circa 1875 (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
 
Also see . . .  Residents offer mixed responses to housing proposal. Article in ThisWeek Community News from 2013 about the proposed conversion of the former school and convent into a 13,250-square-foot private residence. (Submitted on October 28, 2019, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.) 
 
Categories. Churches & ReligionEducation
 

More. Search the internet for Former Site of St. Mary's School and Convent.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 28, 2019. This page originally submitted on October 28, 2019, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 44 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 28, 2019, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.
Paid Advertisement