Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Oklahoma City in Oklahoma County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
 

City Hall by Forfeiture

 

The 89er Trail

 
City Hall by Forfeiture Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, October 21, 2019
1. City Hall by Forfeiture Marker
Inscription.  
Always short on revenue, the City eventually acquired its own building by evicting a saloon.

The Mayor and City Council of Oklahoma City first met on May 3, 1889 in the law office of councilman Ledru Guthrie on the south side of Main Street, mid-block west of the Santa Fe tracks. The City had very little revenue to pay rent or salaries. Its revenues were limited to sales of lot certificates, fines, licenses, and the like.

Fifteen months later, after the election of a new mayor and city council in August, 1890, the council voted to lease council chambers, a police courtroom, and clerk's office in the Kuhlman Building at 13 N. Broadway for $25 per month. The Black and Rogers saloon occupied the first floor.

Nearby, on the northwest corner of Grand Avenue and Broadway, Joe and James T. Hill, who had arrived as sooners on April 22, were operating a boarding house, saloon, and billiard hall, all duly licensed by the City. In October, 1893, the townsite trustees determined that the Hill brothers were sooners and in the absence of other claimants, delivered a deed for the two lots to the City. A few days later, the Hill

City Hall by Forfeiture Marker in background. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, October 21, 2019
2. City Hall by Forfeiture Marker in background.
brothers were arrested for allowing gambling and liquor on the same premises, their property was seized, and the City offices promptly moved into the vacant building.

Photo captions: Left: In 1890, Oklahoma City council chambers, police courtroom and the city clerk's office moved to the Kuhlman Building, 13 N. Broadway. Research Division of the Oklahoma Historical Society
Right: When the city moved from the Kuhlman Building to the Hill Brothers' saloon on the northwest corner of Grand Avenue and Broadway, the Turf Club Exchange saloon shown here moved into the Kuhlman Building. Metropolitan Library System of Oklahoma County
 
Erected 2018 by Oklahoma City Community Foundation, Wiggin Properties. (Marker Number 10.)
 
Location. 35° 27.983′ N, 97° 30.867′ W. Marker is in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, in Oklahoma County. Marker is at the intersection of West Sheridan Avenue and North Broadway Avenue, on the right when traveling east on West Sheridan Avenue. Located at the north side of the Cox Convention Center. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: West Sheridan Avenue, Oklahoma City OK 73102, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A Summer of Political Unrest (a few steps from this marker);

Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
The Building of Oklahoma City (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Election of May 1, 1889 (about 400 feet away); Settling the Conflicting Surveys (about 400 feet away); Angelo C. Scott (about 400 feet away); The Citizens' Committee (about 400 feet away); The Land Run (about 500 feet away); a different marker also named The Land Run (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oklahoma City.
 
Categories. Government & PoliticsIndustry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers
 

More. Search the internet for City Hall by Forfeiture.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 29, 2019. This page originally submitted on October 29, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 40 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 29, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement