Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Guthrie in Logan County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
 

Guthrie Daily Leader

 
 
Guthrie Daily Leader Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, October 22, 2019
1. Guthrie Daily Leader Marker
Inscription.  Home of the Guthrie Daily Leader since 1894, the "Waite Block" was built in 1891 by A. H. Waite, manager of the Kansas City Mercantile Co., to house two separate retail establishments.

The Leader was founded in 1892 as the Territory's Democratic newspaper. Brought to prominence by editor Leslie Niblack, it moved by 1894 into the east half of the building with presses on the ground floor and editorial offices above.

By 1903, the Leader expanded to use both bays with a book binding operation on the second floor above the presses and offices.

After purchasing the assets of the State Capital in 1911, the Leader expanded its circulation. The editorial offices were again on the second floor during the 1920's, moving back to the first floor during the 1930's. In 1953, the interior separating wall was removed in extensive remodeling which included an exterior coat over the original brick and stone construction. Several changes in editors and ownership occurred during this period. Offset printing presses were installed in 1967.

In 1976, the structure was completely remodeled inside and out by

Former Guthrie Daily Leader building & Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, October 22, 2019
2. Former Guthrie Daily Leader building & Marker
the present owners, Donald W. Reynolds of Donrey Media, Inc. The facade does not follow the original design, but is derivative of Victorian architecture of the period when the Leader's establishment saw Harrison Avenue bloom as the center of commercial Guthrie.

The Leader, with its annual '89er Special Editions, has long been in the forefront of Guthrie's Historical Preservation Movement.
 
Erected 1980 by Donald W. Reynolds Foundation.
 
Location. 35° 52.615′ N, 97° 25.555′ W. Marker is in Guthrie, Oklahoma, in Logan County. Marker is at the intersection of West Harrison Avenue and North Division Street (U.S. 77), on the left when traveling west on West Harrison Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: West Harrison Avenue, Guthrie OK 73044, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Foucart Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Victor Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Rough Riders (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Same Old Moses Saloon (about 400 feet away); Brooks Opera House (about 400 feet away); Gray Bros. Building (about 400 feet away); Land Office (about 400 feet away); International Building (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Guthrie.
 
Categories.

Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Arts, Letters, MusicNotable Buildings
 

More. Search the internet for Guthrie Daily Leader.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 30, 2019. This page originally submitted on October 30, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 35 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 30, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement