Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Saint John in Saint John County, New Brunswick — The Canadian Atlantic
 

The New Community of Saint John / La nouvelle localité de Saint John

 
 
Saint John Community Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, July 15, 2019
1. Saint John Community Marker
Inscription.  
English:
With the rebels controlling the New England timber trade in 1779, Hazen and White secured a contract to supply the Royal Navy with essential masts and spars. Their lumber camps fought battles with those of rival traders from Maugerville. In winter, oxen teams pulled cut timber out of the woods to the riverbanks. Logs were rafted to the pond beside Portland Point to be taken aboard British naval vessels. Timber became a valuable source of income for the desperate company.

Shiploads of Loyalist refugees began arriving in the St. John harbour as early as May 1783. British authorities promised assistance to retreating loyalist troops and their families. The Simonds, Hazen and White firm supplied the materials. With the treaty in November 1783 between Britain and her American colonies British trade was renewed with the West Indies. Simonds. Hazen and White shared in this trade, too. Peace ensured the company's success.

James White, ex-officer, merchant and Indian Agent was named Justice of the Peace in 1779. He held other civic offices in the new harbourside community. William Hazen was appointed
Saint John Community Marker • <i>wide view<br>(James Simonds statue in background)</i> image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, July 15, 2019
2. Saint John Community Marker • wide view
(James Simonds statue in background)
a member of the first governing Council for the new colony of New Brunswick in 1784.

The work of 22 years by the Boston partners Simonds, Hazen and White established a vital commercial centre at the mouth of the St. John River. The partners’ struggles, sacrifices and dedicated work during this period of violent conflict and losses laid the foundation for the community that today is Saint John, New Brunswick.

Français:
Pendant que le commerce du bois de la Nouvelle-Angleterre est sous le contrôle des rebelles en 1779, Hazen et White décrochent un contrat pour approvisionner la Marine royale en mâts et en espars essentiels. Leurs camps de bûcherons livrent combat contre ceux des commerçants concurrents de Maugerville. En hiver, des attelages de bœufs sortent le bois coupé des forêts et l'amène aux rives. De là, le bois est flotté jusqu'à l'étang près de Portland Point pour qu'il soit chargé à bord des vaisseaux de la Marine britannique. Le bois devient alors une source importante de revenus pour l'entreprise désespérée.

Dès mai 1783, des navires entiers de réfugiés loyalistes commencent à arriver dans le port de Saint John. Les autorités britanniques promettent de l'aide aux troupes de Loyalistes en retraite et à leur famille. L'entreprise de Simonds, Hazen et White fournit les matériaux. À la suite du traité signé en novembre 1783
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
entre la Grande-Bretagne et ses colonies américaines, le commerce britannique avec les Antilles reprend. Simonds, Hazen et White participent aussi à ce commerce. La paix assure le succès de l'entreprise.

James White, ancien officier, marchand et agent des Indiens, est nommé juge de paix en 1779. Il exerce d'autres fonctions publiques dans la nouvelle collectivité adjacente au port. En 1784, William Hazen est nommé membre du premier Conseil d'administration de la nouvelle colonie du Nouveau-Brunswick.

Les 22 années d'efforts des partenaires bostonnais Simonds, Hazen et White ont permis l'établissement d'un centre de commerce important à l'embouchure du fleuve Saint-Jean. Les difficultés affrontées par les partenaires, leurs sacrifices et leur travail soutenu pendant cette période de pertes et de conflits violents ont jeté les bases de la collectivité qu'est maintenant Saint John, au Nouveau-Brunswick.
 
Erected by J.D. Irving, Limited.
 
Location. 45° 15.427′ N, 66° 5.383′ W. Marker is in Saint John, New Brunswick, in Saint John County. Marker can be reached from Lancaster Avenue 0.2 kilometers east of Bridge Road (New Brunswick Route 100), on the left when traveling east. Marker is located along the walking path in Wolastoq Park, near
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
the center of the park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 211 Lancaster Avenue, Saint John, New Brunswick E2M 2K8, Canada. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Françoise Marie Jacquelin (a few steps from this marker); Rebels Attack / Les attaques des rebelles (a few steps from this marker); Mills at Union Point / Les usines à Union Point (within shouting distance of this marker); Samuel de Champlain (within shouting distance of this marker); Charles Gorman (within shouting distance of this marker); Simonds, Hazen and White (within shouting distance of this marker); William Kilby Reynolds (within shouting distance of this marker); K. C. Irving (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Saint John.
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Wolastoq Park
 
Categories. Colonial EraIndustry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers
 

More. Search the internet for The New Community of Saint John / La nouvelle localité de Saint John.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 2, 2019. This page originally submitted on October 31, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 49 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 31, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.
Paid Advertisement