Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Sandusky in Erie County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Sandusky’s First Congregation — 1818

 
 
Sandusky’s First Congregation — 1818 Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 7, 2019
1. Sandusky’s First Congregation — 1818 Marker
Inscription.  The Methodist Episcopal Church pioneered organized religion in Perkins Township 1811, then in Sandusky when the Rev. Alfred Brunson preached the city’s first sermon in January, 1818. In 1829 the Methodists built Sandusky’s first church, on West Square, and had later churches on the present sites of the Court House and Post Office. This building was begun in 1922, the sanctuary completed in 1958. The Perkins and Sandusky congregations united in 1930.
 
Erected 1978 by Trinity United Methodist Church and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 6-22.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 41° 27.192′ N, 82° 42.441′ W. Marker is in Sandusky, Ohio, in Erie County. Marker is on East Jefferson Street just east of Wayne Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 214 E Jefferson St, Sandusky OH 44870, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Oran Follett (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Knute Rockne Wedding (about
Sandusky’s First Congregation — 1818 Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 7, 2019
2. Sandusky’s First Congregation — 1818 Marker
600 feet away); Sandusky (about 700 feet away); Grace Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Erie County Jail / Sandusky Library (approx. 0.2 miles away); This Concretion (approx. 0.2 miles away); Kilbourne Plat (approx. 0.2 miles away); Jury of Erie County Women / Erie County Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sandusky.
 
Also see . . .  Trinity United Methodist Church celebrating 200th anniversary on Sunday. 2018 article by Eilene Guy in the Sandusky Register. Excerpt:
On Aug. 9, 1828, a town meeting was called to consider the importance and expediency of providing divine service. A committee raised enough pledges from the 200 or so households in town to support a full-time pastor, and the majority voted for the Methodist denomination.

The following year, the Rev. William Runnels arrived to find, according to documents, “No church edifice, no public buildings open for religious services, but one small school house out in the commons in the goose pasture.”
(Submitted on October 31, 2019.) 
 
Categories. Churches & Religion
 
Trinity United Methodist Church School and Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 7, 2019
3. Trinity United Methodist Church School and Marker
 

More. Search the internet for Sandusky’s First Congregation — 1818.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 31, 2019. This page originally submitted on October 31, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 33 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 31, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.
Paid Advertisement