Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Sandusky in Erie County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Sandusky

Founded 1817

 
 
Sandusky D.A.R. Tablet image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 7, 2019
1. Sandusky D.A.R. Tablet
Inscription.  An Indian camp formerly called Ogontz Place by Chief Ogontz of the Ottawa Tribe. Sandusky, founded 1817 by Hon. Zalmon Wildman, Judge Isaac Mills, George Hoadley. Incorporated 1824, Dr. George Anderson, Aaron C. Corbet, Cyrus W. Marsh, Alexander Clemons, Eleutheros Cooke, John Kelly. Moors Farwell, Mayor.
 
Erected 1937 by the Martha Pitkin Chapter, D.A.R.
 
Location. 41° 27.286′ N, 82° 42.522′ W. Marker is in Sandusky, Ohio, in Erie County. Marker is at the intersection of Huron Avenue (U.S. 6) and Wayne Street, on the right when traveling east on Huron Avenue. It is at Fountain Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sandusky OH 44870, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Grace Episcopal Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Kilbourne Plat (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Oran Follett (about 300 feet away); This Concretion (about 300 feet away); Sandusky’s First Congregation — 1818 (about 700 feet away); Jury of Erie County Women / Erie County Courthouse
Sandusky D.A.R. Monument in Fountain Park image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 7, 2019
2. Sandusky D.A.R. Monument in Fountain Park
Huron Avenue is behind the photographer. In the distance is the intersection of Wayne Street and East Adams Street and the Follett House Museum. The fountain, directly behind the monument, was being cleaned when this photograph was taken.
(about 700 feet away); Sandusky / Erie County (about 800 feet away); Erie County Jail / Sandusky Library (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sandusky.
 
Also see . . .  Wikipedia entry for Sandusky. Excerpt:
This area was a center of trading and fortifications since the 18th century: the English, French, and Americans had trading posts and forts built on both the north and south sides of Sandusky Bay.

Development by European Americans of the city of Sandusky, starting in 1818, on the southeast shore of Sandusky Bay, followed settlement of the war of 1812. Part of the city quickly enveloped the site of an earlier small village named “Portland” (established about 1816). Eventually the city of Sandusky encompassed most of the entire township that had been called Portland. Some of the city was built on land formerly occupied by a Native-American man named Ogontz, and therefore the city is said to have been built on “Ogontz’ place.”
(Submitted on October 31, 2019.) 
 
Categories. Native AmericansPolitical SubdivisionsSettlements & Settlers
 

More. Search the internet for Sandusky.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 31, 2019. This page originally submitted on October 31, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 35 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 31, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.
Paid Advertisement