Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

New York in New York County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Metropolitan Club

Landmarks of New York

 
 
The Metropolitan Club Marker image. Click for full size.
By R. C., December 6, 2008
1. The Metropolitan Club Marker
Inscription.  Designed in Italian Renaissance style by McKim, Mead & White, this building, on a site formerly owned by the Duchess of Marlborough, was complete as a home for the Metropolitan Club in 1894. The club, whose first president was J. Pierpont Morgan, was organized in 1891.
 
Erected 1966 by The New York Community Trust.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, MusicFraternal or Sororal Organizations.
 
Location. 40° 45.895′ N, 73° 58.347′ W. Marker is in New York, New York, in New York County. Marker is on 1 East 60th Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: New York NY 10022, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Doris C. Freedman Plaza (within shouting distance of this marker); William Tecumseh Sherman Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Lombard Lamp (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Plaza Hotel (about 400 feet away); Knickerbocker Club (about 500 feet away);
The Metropolitan Club Building image. Click for full size.
By R. C., December 6, 2008
2. The Metropolitan Club Building
a different marker also named Plaza Hotel (about 500 feet away); Original Statue of Liberty (about 600 feet away); Theodore Roosevelt Lived Here (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New York.
 
Also see . . .  Stanford White's 1893 "The Metropolitan Club". "Daytonian in Manhattan" entry. (Submitted on April 13, 2020, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 13, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 7, 2008, by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 714 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 7, 2008, by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Aug. 8, 2020