Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Oklahoma City in Oklahoma County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
 

The Oklahoma Territory Organic Act

Washington D.C. May 2, 1890

 

The 89er Trail

 
The Oklahoma Territory Organic Act Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, October 21, 2019
1. The Oklahoma Territory Organic Act Marker
Inscription.  
On May 2, 1890, Congress passed long awaited legislation establishing federally sanctioned territorial government for Oklahoma.

The Organic Act defined Oklahoma Territory boundaries to include the lands west of Indian Territory and the panhandle north of Texas known as No Man's Land. The Unassigned Lands were divided into six numbered counties, with Oklahoma City as the seat of government in county #2. As the federal government acquired Indian land and opened it for settlement, the land would be included in Oklahoma Territory. Rules were established for the election of territorial and local officials. The laws of Nebraska were applied to Oklahoma Territory until the new legislature could adopt its own.

Thirteen months after the Run of '89, residents of Oklahoma City had a federal framework for government. The long period of ad-hoc governance and political instability was over.

Photo captions: Top left: Major George W. Steele, from Indiana, was appointed by President Benjamin Harrison to serve as the first governor of Oklahoma Territory. Research Division of the Oklahoma

The Oklahoma Territory Organic Act Marker with view of City Hall. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, October 21, 2019
2. The Oklahoma Territory Organic Act Marker with view of City Hall.
Historical Society
Top right: The first legislature of the Oklahoma Territory met in Guthrie in 1890-1891. Research Division of the Oklahoma Historical Society
Map: No Man's Land was the first of the unoccupied lands added to Oklahoma Territory by the Organic Act of 1890. By 1906, all the land west of Indian Territory had become part of Oklahoma.
 
Erected 2018 by Oklahoma City Community Foundation, Wiggin Properties. (Marker Number 17.)
 
Location. 35° 28.128′ N, 97° 31.201′ W. Marker is in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, in Oklahoma County. Marker is at the intersection of Latting Circle and Park Avenue, on the left when traveling north on Latting Circle. Located at City Hall. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Latting Circle, Oklahoma City OK 73102, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Beale Defeats Overholser For Mayor (a few steps from this marker); The New Framework of Government (within shouting distance of this marker); Prominent Land Cases (within shouting distance of this marker); The Resignation of Mayor William L. Couch (approx. 0.2 miles away); T.M. Richardson and the Oklahoma Bank
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
(approx. mile away); Henry Overholser (approx. mile away); Charles Colcord (approx. mile away); Team Effort (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oklahoma City.
 
Also see . . .  Oklahoma Historical Society on the Organic Act. (Submitted on October 31, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
Categories. Government & PoliticsSettlements & Settlers
 

More. Search the internet for The Oklahoma Territory Organic Act.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 31, 2019. This page originally submitted on October 31, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 33 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 31, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement