Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tulsa in Tulsa County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
 

Sapulpa Road

Route 66 Motorist Center

— Tulsa's Historic Route 66 —

 
 
Sapulpa Road Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, October 22, 2019
1. Sapulpa Road Marker
Inscription.  Electrically powered interurban trolley systems were popular in metropolitan areas in the early twentieth century before personal automobiles became common. The first interurban system in the Tulsa area began in Sapulpa, southwest of Red Fork, and ran south to the Glenn Pool oil field beginning in 1907, making it possible for oil industry workers to live in the larger town of Sapulpa and still easily commute to work in Glenn Pool. In 1918, the interurban trolley line was extended northeast to Tulsa, ending in the Greenwood District.

As automobile ownership became pervasive, commuters replaced public transportation with private vehicles. Drivers preferred to travel on roads that were designed as US Highways because the designation guaranteed an improved, paved roadbed and access to services along the way. By 1935 this stretch of Sapulpa Road had become a hub of services for travelers on Route 66. Auto-enthusiasts had their choice of four cottage court motels, five gas stations, three repair shops, two cafes, and a grocery store. This concentration of auto-related businesses was typical for locations just outside the

Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
dense city center because their prices were likely less expensive and it was easier to maneuver.
 
Erected 2019 by Tulsa Route 66 Commission. (Marker Number 25.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Railroads & StreetcarsRoads & Vehicles. In addition, it is included in the U.S. Route 66 series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1907.
 
Location. 36° 6.908′ N, 96° 0.524′ W. Marker is in Tulsa, Oklahoma, in Tulsa County. Marker is on Southwest Boulevard, on the right when traveling south. Next to Red Fork Distillery. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3310 Southwest Boulevard, Tulsa OK 74107, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Tulsa's First Oil Strike (approx. 0.2 miles away); Clinton Heights (approx. half a mile away); Route 66 Historical Village (approx. 0.7 miles away); Quanah Retail Center (approx. one mile away); Red Fork (approx. 1.1 miles away); First Oil Well in Tulsa County (approx. 1.1 miles away); Crystal City (approx. 1.3 miles away); Settlement of the Nations 1836-1866 (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tulsa.
 
Sapulpa Road Marker looking south on Southwest Boulevard. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, October 22, 2019
2. Sapulpa Road Marker looking south on Southwest Boulevard.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 1, 2019. It was originally submitted on November 1, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 431 times since then and 144 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 1, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=142076

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 23, 2024