Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Palm Springs in Riverside County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

The Original Palm Springs

 
 
The Original Palm Springs Marker image. Click for full size.
By Douglass Halvorsen, March 23, 2013
1. The Original Palm Springs Marker
Marker has been removed from the site.
Inscription.  The warm spring here was the site of Se-Khe (Boiling Water), important village of the Kawasic Cahuilla Indians. The Spanish called it Agua Caliente (Hot Water). A stage station of that name operated from 1862 to 1876. As early as 1871 the Indians operated a bath house for tourists and the site tribally owned. Because of the surrounding native palm trees, it was later called "Palm Springs".
 
Erected by Riverside County Historical Society. (Marker Number RIV-025.)
 
Location. Marker has been permanently removed. It was located near 33° 49.403′ N, 116° 32.724′ W. Marker was in Palm Springs, California, in Riverside County. Marker could be reached from the intersection of Tahquitz Canyon Way and Indian Canyon Drive. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Palm Springs CA 92262, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Welwood Murray Memorial Library (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Plaza Theatre (about 400 feet away); Desert Inn (was about 500 feet away but has been reported missing. ); Oasis Hotel
The Original Palm Springs Marker image. Click for full size.
By Douglass Halvorsen, January 27, 2013
2. The Original Palm Springs Marker
Marker has been removed from the site.
(about 500 feet away); Lykken’s Department Store (about 600 feet away); Site of First Community Church (about 600 feet away); McCallum House (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Cork'n Bottle Building (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Palm Springs.
 
Regarding The Original Palm Springs. In the summer of 2014, the Agua Caliente Tribe made the announcement that they planned to demolish the spa casino that existed at this site for many years. The new Agua Caliente Cultural Museum is under construction and set to open in 2020. The new museum will celebrate the history and culture of the Agua Caliente Band of Cahuilla Indians. The project will include the Agua Caliente Hot Mineral Spring, with gardens and an oasis trail.
 
Also see . . .  The new Agua Caliente Cultural Museum. (Submitted on November 3, 2019, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California.)
 
Categories. Native AmericansSettlements & Settlers
 
The Original Palm Springs Marker image. Click for full size.
January 27, 2013
3. The Original Palm Springs Marker
Marker has been removed from the site. View of spa casino prior to demolition.
New Museum Under Construction image. Click for full size.
By Craig Baker, March 29, 2019
4. New Museum Under Construction
Agua Caliente Women image. Click for full size.
By Craig Baker, March 29, 2019
5. Agua Caliente Women
Bronze, 1994, by Doug Hyde. Located in the center median of Tahquitz Canyon Way at Indian Canyon Drive.
 

More. Search the internet for The Original Palm Springs.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 3, 2019. This page originally submitted on January 20, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. This page has been viewed 116 times since then and 2 times this year. Last updated on November 3, 2019, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on January 20, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon.   4, 5. submitted on March 30, 2019, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement