Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Sandusky in Erie County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Holy Angels Catholic Church

 
 
Holy Angels Catholic Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 7, 2019
1. Holy Angels Catholic Church Marker
Inscription.  Holy Angels Catholic Church is the mother church of Sandusky. Reverend Joseph P. Machebeuf, a French Missionary, began ministering to Catholics in the Sandusky area in late 1839. Soon after William H. Mills offered five lots, $530, and the materials needed to build a church. Father Machebeuf laid the cornerstone on October 13, 1841, and services were held in 1842. By Christmas of 1845, the building was complete, the steeple added, and the bell installed. The congregation was mostly Irish emigrants. In 1855 as more Germans settled nearby, they built St. Mary’s Mother of Sorrows Church. The city’s expansion prompted the building of Saints Peter and Paul Church, in 1871, Holy Angels became a mission church of Saints Peter and Paul until 1875, when Holy Angels was assigned its own pastor and reopened.
 
Erected 2016 by William G. Pomeroy Foundation, Holy Angels Catholic Church and The Ohio History Connection. (Marker Number 30-22.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection, and the William G. Pomeroy Foundation marker series.
 
Location.
Holy Angels Catholic Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 7, 2019
2. Holy Angels Catholic Church Marker
41° 26.968′ N, 82° 43.396′ W. Marker is in Sandusky, Ohio, in Erie County. Marker is at the intersection of Tiffin Avenue (U.S. 6) and Clinton Street, on the left when traveling south on Tiffin Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 428 Tiffin Ave, Sandusky OH 44870, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Cholera Cemetery / In Honor of the Doctors (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Sandusky Post Office (approx. 0.6 miles away); “The Early Birds” (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Hinde & Dauch Paper Company (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Boy with the Boot (approx. 0.7 miles away); Erie County Jail / Sandusky Library (approx. 0.7 miles away); Jury of Erie County Women / Erie County Courthouse (approx. 0.7 miles away); Sandusky / Erie County (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sandusky.
 
Also see . . .  The history of Holy Angels Catholic Church. 2018 article by Caitlin Nearhood in the Sandusky Register. Excerpt:
“Later, W. H. Mills offered the present location which consists of five lots,” according to the church’s website. “He also gave $530, all the stone, and all the timber for the building. The parishioners began hauling stone from nearby quarries and preparing timber. The cornerstone was laid on October
Holy Angels Catholic Church, Sandusky Ohio image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 7, 2019
3. Holy Angels Catholic Church, Sandusky Ohio
13, 1841. However, walls to the church, laid by hand were not completed until June 6, 1842. The church still had no roof. Father Machebeuf returned to his native France where he was successful in securing financial aid from his fellow countrymen.”

In 1845, construction on the church finished and the building was dedicated to the Triune God and His Holy Angels. A bell in the church’s tower came from Toledo the year after.
(Submitted on November 4, 2019.) 
 
Categories. Churches & Religion
 

More. Search the internet for Holy Angels Catholic Church.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 4, 2019. This page originally submitted on November 4, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 30 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 4, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.
Paid Advertisement