Quanah Retail Center
— Tulsa's Historic Route 66 —
OTASCO (Oklahoma Tire and Supply Company) was one such
business. Founded in Okmulgee in 1918 as a retail outlet for
tires and auto accessories, the growing company moved its
headquarters to Tulsa in 1925. It had 34 stores across the
state by 1936, including OTASCO No. 7 at 1723 S. Quanah.
By the mid-1950s, OTASCO No. 7 had moved to the corner
of W. 22nd Street and S. Quanah. Shepherd's Department
Store and Community State Bank also relocated.
Other long-standing businesses at this node included
Burgess Hardware, Potter's Hatchery & Feed Store, Dooley
Pharmacy, C. R. Young Five & Dime and Glencliff Dairy.
These busineses provided goods and services to residents
as well as motorists passing through the area.
Erected 2019 by Tulsa Route 66 Commission. (Marker Number 23.)
Location. 36° 7.756′
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. West Tulsa (approx. half a mile away); Tulsa's First Oil Strike (approx. 0.8 miles away); Sapulpa Road (approx. one mile away); The Bridge that Saved Tulsa (approx. one mile away); Mary Veasey Leech (approx. one mile away); Not Just a Ball Game (approx. one mile away); Creek Stickball Park (approx. 1.1 miles away); Creek Nation Council Oak Memorial (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tulsa.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
More. Search the internet for Quanah Retail Center.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 5, 2019. This page originally submitted on November 5, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 44 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 5, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.