Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Near Galway in Saratoga County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Stimson House

 
 
Stimson House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Howard C. Ohlhous, October 5, 2019
1. Stimson House Marker
Inscription.  
Home of Gen. Earl Stimson
1776-1847. Best Managed Farm
In Saratoga Cnty. Paymaster
24Th Reg. 9Th Brigade 11/1811
Prom to Major Gen. 5/29/1837

 
Erected 2012 by Dockstader Trust.
 
Location. 43° 1.038′ N, 74° 3.234′ W. Marker is near Galway, New York, in Saratoga County. Marker is at the intersection of Perth Road and Lake Road, on the right when traveling west on Perth Road. The historical marker is located roadside on the northwest corner of the intersection of Perth Road and Consaul Road, at the southern end of Lake Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Galway NY 12074, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Galway Village (approx. 1.1 miles away); Site Of John McClelland (approx. 1˝ miles away); Joseph Henry (approx. 1.7 miles away); The Gere House (approx. 2 miles away); Parkis Mills (approx. 2.6 miles away); Scotch Street (approx. 3.2 miles away); Scotch Church (approx. 3.3 miles away); Seabury Mills (approx. 3.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Galway.
 
Regarding Stimson House. Historical Marker Profile #6

Galway is home to eight New York State Historical Markers. One of these markers commemorates a homestead owned by a prominent figure in the town’s early history.

Earl Stimson was a businessman, a farmer, and served in the State Militia, being promoted
Stimson House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Howard C. Ohlhous, October 5, 2019
2. Stimson House Marker
to Paymaster, Captain, and later Major General. He operated the best-managed farm in the Galway, New York area, as well as a hotel, boarding house, meatpacking plant, and several stores. Stimson was one of the town’s leading citizens of his day.

Stimson’s 700-acre homestead was quite extensive. In May, 1835, New York Farmer and American Gardener’s Magazine stated, “...the dwelling house and numerous out-buildings, placed on a commanding eminence, had more the appearance of a village than the domain of a private individual.” In addition to the spacious house, there were several barns and stables, a large store, a granary, a cider house, a slaughterhouse, a cooper’s shop, a potash establishment, a blacksmith’s shop, and smaller dwelling houses.

The historical marker is located in front of the home on the northwest corner of the intersection of Perth Road and Consaul Road, at the southern end of Lake Road.

Thanks to Phyllis Keeler and Tom Cwiakala who published a detailed write-up of this historical marker in the Fall 2011 issue of the Galway Reader.


    - Published in the Galway Preservation Society Journal, November 2016, Volume 20, Issue 3, Page 6
 
Categories. AgricultureIndustry & Commerce
 

More. Search the internet for Stimson House.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 28, 2019. This page originally submitted on November 6, 2019, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 46 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 6, 2019, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Michael Herrick was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement