Lakeside in Ottawa County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Fire of October 20, 1929 / The Lakeside Volunteer Fire Protective Association
The Lakeside Volunteer Fire Protective Association responded to both fire and medical emergencies on the Marblehead Peninsula for more than 100 years. It was founded in 1905, after a devastating fire that destroyed Lakeside’s business district. In 1946, the Association began providing emergency medical aid. During their service, the Lakeside Volunteer Fire Protective Association progressed from hand-drawn chemical carts to the area’s first heavy-duty fire and rescue truck. In 2013, the Association donated
Erected 2015 by Lakeside Cautauqua, Lakeside Volunteer Fire Department, and The Ohio History Connection. (Marker Number 17-62.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 41° 32.531′ N, 82° 45′ W. Marker is in Lakeside, Ohio, in Ottawa County. Marker is at the intersection of Walnut Avenue and East 5th Street, on the left when traveling south on Walnut Avenue. Lakeside is a gated town during the summer season. Unless you can talk a gatekeeper into a free in-and-out timed pass, you will have to pay for a day pass to enter. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lakeside Marblehead OH 43440, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lakeside (approx. ¼ mile away); The Keeper’s House (approx. 1.9 miles away); Home of Benajah Walcott (approx. 1.9 miles away); First Battle Site (approx. 1.9 miles away); a different marker also named The Keeper's House (approx. 2 miles away); In Memory of Mason, Simonds & Mingus (approx. 2 miles away); Lake Erie (approx. 2 miles away); Marblehead Lighthouse (approx. 2 miles away).
More about this marker. Lakeside is a private community on the shores of Lake Erie. It was formed in 1873 by members of the Methodist Church and remains a church-affiliated vacation resort.
Also see . . . Lakeside dedicates Park. 2015 article by Wanda Chandler in the Sandusky Register. Excerpt:
Dozens of cottages, the Lakeside Methodist Episcopal Church and the printing office of the Peninsula News were all consumed by the fire. “With all the devastation,” [David] Glick [, a 70-year veteran of the LVFPA,] said “there were no casualties and even the cat in the cottage where the fire originated survived.”(Submitted on November 9, 2019.)
Before the new marker was placed, the site was a small garden park with a flag pole for 86 years, which was the former site of the Peninsula News printing office.
Categories. • Charity & Public Work •
More. Search the internet for The Fire of October 20, 1929 / The Lakeside Volunteer Fire Protective Association.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 9, 2019. This page originally submitted on November 9, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 42 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 9, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.