Coventry in Tolland County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
Wellwood’s General Store / The Methodist Church
The store became the functional center of South Coventry Village with the library next door and the Post Office, as it was then, across the street. the building is also rumored to have been part of the underground railroad until the end of the Civil War. The building is historically known as the Wellwood Store as the Wellwood Family owned
Interest waned in the 1920’s and the 1938 hurricane destroyed the west tower. The building was repaired. but the tower was not re-constructed. The facture shown is prior to the hurricane. In 1944 the membership was so few that the parishioners could not maintain the chapel and in 1949 they merged with the Bolton Methodist church.
The building was used for many years as a community house for social gatherings, society meetings, concerts and plays, Boy Scout meetings, school classes and such. In the 1990's it held several antique Stores. In 2003 it was purchased by a local contractor, and refurbished for retail
An eccentric and independent itinerant Methodist minister was born in 1777 in Coventry. He had a zealous spirituality that lead him on a mission of conversion throughout the eastern United States, England and Ireland. He frequently noted the value of his reputation as “Crazy Dow” that brought congregations to his camp meetings. At his death on February 2, 1834 he was considered the most widely known and perhaps most traveled man in America.
The Meetinghouse Tree, 1912
The large elm in the middle of Mason Street was known as the Meetinghouse Tree because notices were mailed to the face informing the townspeople of local news and events. In this picture you can see the Wellwood Store, the trolley and the original library building.
Location. 41° 46.052′ N, 72° 17.915′ W. Marker is in Coventry, Connecticut, in Tolland County. Marker is on Main Street (Connecticut Route 31) 0.3 miles east of Monument Hill Road, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Coventry CT 06238, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. South Coventry Village (within shouting distance of this marker); Booth and Dimock Memorial Library (within shouting distance of this marker); The First Congregational Church The Washburn Mill & The Visitor’s Center (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Tracy Shoddy Mill (approx. 0.2 miles away); E.A. Tracy Wool Extract and Shoddy Mill (approx. ¼ mile away); Thomas H. Wood’s Silk Mill (approx. ¼ mile away); a different marker also named South Coventry Village (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Coventry.
Also see . . . Lorenzo Dow (Wikipedia). (Submitted on November 10, 2019, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Industry & Commerce •
More. Search the internet for Wellwood’s General Store / The Methodist Church.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 10, 2019. This page originally submitted on November 10, 2019, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 44 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 10, 2019, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.