Coventry in Tolland County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
Booth and Dimock Memorial Library
Much controversy surrounded the building of the new library site since the stately colonial homestead of Thomas Clark had to be torn down. A meeting was held in August 1911, with Mrs. Susan Whitney Dimock, to discuss the details of the purchase of the Clark homestead, then owned by Dwight H. Clark. When it was determined that the purchase did not involve town funding, the misunderstandings were resolved and the construction began. The townspeople were delighted with the new building which included a large reading room, fireplaces
In 1987-89 a large 12,340 square foot expansion of the library building took place with a combination of $1,740,000 in funds from the Town of Coventry, State of Connecticut and the Federal Government. The architect was Felix Drury and Zlatnick Construction Company was the contractor. The new addition was dedicated on November 19, 1989. The original front entrance was duplicated and changed to the right hand side adjoining the expanded parking lot. An elevator was installed for easy access to the lower level. The 1913 tower clock was restored. All of the services of the library were expanded to include computer stations, large meeting room/art gallery and children's library.
The South Coventry Library Association was organized in 1880. Books were loaned for a small yearly fee until 1906 when the Town of Coventry voted to provide $100.00 annually toward operating expenses.
By 1894 the library was housed in a small building, formally the post office, which stood directly across Mason Street next to the AW Wellwood Store. The library building was purchased by the South Coventry Library Association after a California
( photo captions )
- This 1915 postcard shows the new library building with wide walkways leading to the stately entrance.
- The Thomas Clark Homestead torn down in 1911, amid controversy, to provide a site for the new Booth and Dimock Memorial Library.
- The first library building, formerly the Post Office, was purchased by the South Coventry Library Association in 1894.
Location. 41° 46.046′ N, 72° 17.891′ W. Marker is in Coventry, Connecticut, in Tolland County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Mason Street, on the right when traveling east on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Coventry CT 06238, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. South Coventry Village (here, next to this marker); Wellwood’s General Store / The Methodist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); The First Congregational Church (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Washburn Mill & The Visitor’s Center (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Tracy Shoddy Mill (approx. ¼ mile away); E.A. Tracy Wool Extract and Shoddy Mill (approx. ¼ mile away); Thomas H. Wood’s Silk Mill (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named South Coventry Village (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Coventry.
Also see . . . Booth and Dimock Memorial Library. (Submitted on November 10, 2019, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music • Education •
More. Search the internet for Booth and Dimock Memorial Library.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 10, 2019. This page originally submitted on November 10, 2019, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 28 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 10, 2019, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.