Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Coventry in Tolland County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
 

The Bidwell House

 
 
The Bidwell House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, November 6, 2019
1. The Bidwell House Marker
Inscription.  
The Bidwell House
This Greek revival style hotel was built in 1822 by Solomon Bidwell on a one hundred forty acre track of land. The ell was added by Solomon's son, Lyman Bidwell, around 1850. The property descended to Lyman's son and daughter in-law, Charles and Lydia Bidwell who operated the establishment until Charles's premature death in 1881 at age 26. During the mid-19th century the hotel also served as the South Coventry Post Office. A Ballroom on the third floor was said to have been a popular gathering place. The double porches were added around 1908. When the trolley started in 1909, the Bidwell House became a stop for the trolley line that can between Willimantic and Lakeside Park at Lake Wamgumbaug.

By the 1880's most of the one hundred forty acres had been sold. In a 1901 seven page hand written mortgage of the property the Bidwell House was listed as consisting of “2½ acres, 33 room hotel, barn, auto garage, shed, hen coops, the right of using the two springs of water” and a list of the entire contents of the hotel including salt & pepper shakers and chamber pots. When Lydia Bidwell Josselyn
The Bidwell House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, November 6, 2019
2. The Bidwell House Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
died in 1918, a judge determined the rightful descendants to be Charles Bidwell’s sisters. In 1920 the property was sold to Edward Navens by the estate of Charles Fitch and Mary Bidwell Clark. Thus ended the Bidwell family connection to this property.

Mr. Navens and his family operated the hotel for 16 years. They added Pan-Am gas station and in 1933 leased part of the lower level to Frank Parker who opened a tavern. In 1937 Judd Fitch became the new owner. Subsequent tavern owners were Leo T. Flaherty in 1944 and Fred Flaherty in 1956. The property was sold in 1968 to T. Leo Flaherty and the tavern was converted to a Package Store. Since 1982 the property has changed hands four times and in the early 1980s, the hotel was converted to private apartments.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1822.
 
Location. 41° 46.11′ N, 72° 18.142′ W. Marker is in Coventry, Connecticut, in Tolland County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (Connecticut Route 31) and Monument Hill Road, on the right when traveling east on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Coventry CT 06238, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. E.A. Tracy Wool Extract and Shoddy Mill (within shouting distance of this marker); The Tracy Shoddy Mill (within shouting distance of this marker); The Washburn Mill & The Visitor’s Center
The Bidwell House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, November 6, 2019
3. The Bidwell House Marker
( detail photo )
The Bidwell House served as a trolley stop for the Willimantic and South Coventry Line which operated from 1909 to 1926.
(about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Thomas H. Wood’s Silk Mill (about 400 feet away); South Coventry Village (about 500 feet away); Warfield Pond (about 500 feet away); The First Congregational Church (about 600 feet away); John Boynton’s Mill (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Coventry.
 
The Bidwell House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, November 6, 2019
4. The Bidwell House Marker
( detail photo )
The porches were added to the Bidwell House around 1903. The large barn existed in 1911 when the property was mortgaged.
The Bidwell House as it appears today image. Click for full size.
By Brandon D Cross, September 16, 2019
5. The Bidwell House as it appears today
The Bidwell House image. Click for full size.
By Brandon D Cross, September 16, 2019
6. The Bidwell House
The Bidwell House contributes to the South Coventry Historic District
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 10, 2019, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 53 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 10, 2019, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.   5, 6. submitted on November 10, 2019, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=142436

Paid Advertisement
May. 15, 2021