Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Fort Benton in Chouteau County, Montana — The American West (Mountains)
 

The Engage's Quarters

 
 
The Engage's Quarters Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, August 14, 2019
1. The Engage's Quarters Marker
Captions: (bottom) Destruction of the Engage's Quarters at Old Fort Benton. Six photos from 1890, 1896, 1898, 1901, 1929 and 1946.
Inscription.  In 1850 this building housed families of the engages in the two large second-story rooms accessed by two exterior stairways. It was communal living, but it was warmer and better living than a tepee. Downstairs were shops for the skilled craftsmen. A tailor, saddle and harness maker, tinsmith and a gunsmith were employed by the fur company but did other work in their spare time. When the military came, the building was converted to storage areas and a bakery. Today only the blockhouse and two remnants of the walls of this building remain from the original fort.
 
Location. 47° 49.288′ N, 110° 39.804′ W. Marker is in Fort Benton, Montana, in Chouteau County. Marker is on Front Street near 18th Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Benton MT 59442, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Buffalo Robe Fur Press (within shouting distance of this marker); Nez Perce War (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Fort Benton (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Benton and the Indian Wars
The Engage's Quarters wall and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, August 14, 2019
2. The Engage's Quarters wall and Marker
(about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fort Benton Historic District (about 300 feet away); Steamboat Relics (about 300 feet away); War Dogs Memorial (about 400 feet away); Fort Benton – Fort MacLeod Trail (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Benton.
 
More about this marker. The marker is on the grounds of Old Fort Benton.
 
Also see . . .  Fort Benton History -- Fort Benton Restoration Committee. In the spring of 1846 the American Fur Company's agent at Fort Lewis, Alexander Culbertson, received a request from the Blackfeet to relocate the fort to the north side of the Missouri River. A broad grassy river bottom on the north side a few miles down river was selected and work began on the site of Fort Benton, the last fur trading fort on the Upper Missouri. Fort Lewis' log buildings, walls and bastions were dismantled and floated to their new site. (Submitted on November 10, 2019, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.) 
 
Categories. Forts, Castles
 
Reconstruction of the Engage's Quarters image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, August 14, 2019
3. Reconstruction of the Engage's Quarters
Fort Benton Blockhouse image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, August 14, 2019
4. Fort Benton Blockhouse
Fort Benton Trading Post image. Click for full size.
By Fort Benton Restoration Committee
5. Fort Benton Trading Post
 

More. Search the internet for The Engage's Quarters.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 10, 2019. This page originally submitted on November 10, 2019, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 34 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 10, 2019, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.
Paid Advertisement