Dover in Kent County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Did you know...
— Dover, Delaware —
The Old State House
Fact: After the capital was moved from New Castle to Dover in 1777, the State House was built as the first permanent capitol building in 1787 and finished in 1791.
Information: This Georgian style structure which features double spiral staircases was originally home to both county and state governments. The building continues to serve as the focal point for both government and civic life even after the legislative and executive functions were moved to the newly built Legislature Hall in 1933. It has been fully restored to its original appearance inside and out by the Delaware Division of Historical & Cultural Affairs. The Old State House offers various interpretive tours and special events and was the site for the launch of the Delaware History Trail. Featuring 36 site, the trail salutes Delaware heritage.
For more info: historydelaware.gov/museums
The Golden Fleece Tavern Site on the Green
Fact: This site was the scene of some of the most important and dramatic events in Delaware history.
Information: Also known as Battell's Tavern and the place for community and government activities, this site became the center for important decisions during the American Revolution and the early years of independence. With no state capital building until 1791, the tavern became the place for the upper assembly's Legislative Council to meet. On December 7, 1787, 30 delegates, ten from each county, met to unanimously ratify the Federal Constitution, making Delaware "The First State". "Delaware Day" is officially celebrated on an annual basis.
For more info: www.friendsofolddover.org
John Bell House on the Green
Fact: This is the oldest wooden structure in the state capital.
Information: Saved from demolition by the Department of State in 2005, the Bell House dating from the mid 1700s, was fully restored by DNREC to its original appearance. It now serves as the interpretive center for the First State Heritage Park, the state's first urban park without boundaries. The park highlights historical and cultural landmarks and events through interpretive programs and walking tours.
For more info: destateparks.com/heritagepark
John Dickinson Plantation
Fact: This mansion was the home of John Dickinson, a founding father, signer of the Constitution, and "Penman of the Revolution".
Information: The visitor center showcases an exhibit and video on the life of John Dickinson and the history of John Dickinson and the history of the plantation. Tours are conducted by historic interpreters dressed in 18th century style clothing with interactive demonstrations. Depicting characters from the era, these trained interpreters enable visitors to compare and contrast lifestyles of the wealthy with those of tenants, poor whites, slaves, and free blacks living in Kent County. It has been restored to its original appearance by Historical & Cultural Affairs.
For more info: historydelaware.gov/museums
Air Mobility Command Museum
Fact: After restoration in the 1990's and placement on the National Register of Historic Places, Hangar #1301 at Dover Air Force Base became the AMC Museum.
Information: The Hanger #1301 building complex was where secret rocket development took place during World War II at Dover Air Field. From the 1950's-1970's various fighter squadrons called the hanger home. Housing several exhibits with some being interactive, and about 30 aircraft, this institution is part of the US Air Force field museum system. The mission of the AMC is to deliver maximum war fighting and humanitarian efforts for America through rapid and precise global air mobility.
For more info: www.amcmuseum.org
The Schwartz Center for the Arts
Fact: One of the oldest theaters in Central Delaware playing host to both national and international performers, as well as, local arts groups.
Information: The Schwartz Center for the Arts was originally constructed in 1904 and known as The Dover Opera House. In October 2001, the historic building was transformed from a beloved movie theater into Kent County's premier center for the performing arts. With an impressive line-up of entertainment filled with jazz, comedy, dance, and children's shows, the Schwartz Center also provides a home for educational activities including our summer theater camp program. We invite you to come explore our world-class entertainment with a small-town charm!
For more information: www.schwartzcenter.com
Dover Public Library
Fact: The Dover Public Library was incorporated in 1884 as a private subscription library. The first subscriptions were sold for $50 per share to 50 stockholders.
Information: In 1900, the ladies of the Dover Century Club began to agitate for a Free Public Library. They forced a referendum of the people in 1902 which passed; and the Dover Public Library became the first publicly supported library in Delaware. In 1929, the Library was relocated to the second floor of the Grange Hall from its previous location in the Post Office. In 1934, the Library moved to the top floor of the Dover City Hall on Loockerman Street where it remained until 1961, when a new library facility was built on State Street. In 1975, the Dover Public Library became a municipal library, and was later expanded in 1980. In September 2012, the Library returned to its former home on Loockerman Street in the new Dover Public Library facility.
For more info: www.doverpubliclibrary.org
Fact: Wesley College, located in the historic district of Dover, was founded in 1873 as a preparatory school called Wilmington Conference Academy.
Information: This co-educational, liberal arts institution is known as Delaware's oldest private college. It became a two year degree program in 1918 and offered four year degrees in 1978. Besides offering liberal arts, students can major in Nursing, Education, Physical Therapy, Accounting, and Business Administration. A New Castle campus accommodates working adults. The student population is approximately 2,500. The blue and white Wolverines are members of the NCAA Division III Athletic Conference.
For more info: www.wesley.edu
Location. 39° 9.425′ N, 75° 31.554′ W. Marker is in Dover, Delaware, in Kent County. Marker is on West North Street just north of South Governors Avenue (Alternate U.S. 13), on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 119 West North Street, Dover DE 19901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Continuity & Progress (here, next to this marker); Colonel John Haslet (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); John M. Clayton (about 400 feet away); Old Presbyterian Church (about 400 feet away); Site Of Kent County’s First Presbyterian Church (about 500 feet away); The Capitol Theater (about 500 feet away); Wesley United Methodist Church (about 500 feet away); Constitution Park (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dover.
Categories. • African Americans • Agriculture • Air & Space • Architecture • Arts, Letters, Music • Charity & Public Work • Colonial Era • Education • Entertainment • Government & Politics • War, US Revolutionary • War, World II • Women •
More. Search the internet for Did you know....
Credits. This page was last revised on November 11, 2019. This page originally submitted on November 11, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 54 times since then and 5 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on November 11, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide-view shot of the marker in context • Can you help?