Near Dover in Kent County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Octagonal School House
This school was erected about 1836 and was in continuous use until 1930. Schools of this style were claimed to be very efficient, with each grade along the side of a wall, and the teacher in the center of the room.
The building was used as a community center in later years. It was given to the state for preservation in 1967 largely through the efforts of John W. Tarburton.
Erected 1969 by Public Archives Commission.
Location. 39° 11.749′ N, 75° 28.348′ W. Marker is near Dover, Delaware, in Kent County. Marker can be reached from Bayside Drive (Delaware Route 9) 0.4 miles east of Savana Road (County Road 86), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6896 Bayside Road, Dover DE 19901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Stone Tavern (approx. 2.6 miles away); Little Creek United Methodist Church Town of Little Creek (approx. 2.8 miles away); Dover International Speedway (approx. 2.9 miles away); Vietnam Memorial (approx. 3.3 miles away); Dover (approx. 3.4 miles away); Lakeside Cemetery Veterans Memorial (approx. 3.4 miles away); Dover Downs (approx. 3½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dover.
Categories. • Architecture • Education •
More. Search the internet for Octagonal School House.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 11, 2019. This page originally submitted on November 11, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 40 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 11, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.