Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Galveston in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

James S. Waters House

 
 
James S. Waters House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, November 10, 2019
1. James S. Waters House Marker
Inscription.  

The East End Historic District, which initiated development in the area immediately east of Galveston’s Downtown Business District, saw its busiest period of construction during the last two decades of the 19th century. Many of the city’s government and business leaders built large and architecturally significant houses, including county treasurer James Stephen Waters.

Waters was born February 13, 1854, in New Orleans and moved to Galveston in 1872. In 1886, Waters partnered with Charles M. Mason to form a fire and marine insurance agency. That same year, Waters was elected treasurer of Galveston County, an office he held for the next 16 years – a period during which Galveston saw great economic growth and activity. In November 1889, Waters married Violet Hinkle and the couple had three sons: James Jr., William and Fenelon.

In January of 1891, Waters bought lot 11 on Church Street. The house was designed in the Victorian style by Henry Collier Cooke of the firm Bourgeois Nitchner & Cooke. Curved porches and the inset front entrance were popular architectural elements in Galveston at the time. The house also
James S. Waters House image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, November 10, 2019
2. James S. Waters House
The marker is to the right of the house near the sidewalk.
featured a roof tower that was removed in the mid-20th century due to roof drainage issues and restored in 2015 based on historic photos. An eastern addition to the house was built in 1899 to accommodate the growing family.

After James, Sr. died in 1923, Violet, Fenelon and his wife, Constance, lived in the house. After Fenelon and Constance moved out, William, Sr. and his wife, Haydee, moved in. After William, Sr.’s death, his widow, Haydee, lived in the house until Hurricane Ike in 2008. The property remained in the Waters family until 2014. It remains one of the best examples of Victorian architecture in the east end.

Recorded Texas Landmark – 2016
 
Erected 2016 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18526.)
 
Location. 29° 18.436′ N, 94° 46.799′ W. Marker is in Galveston, Texas, in Galveston County. Marker is on Church Street 0.1 miles west of 11th Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1116 Church Street, Galveston TX 77550, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Davidson-Penland House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Menard-Ganter House (about 500 feet away); Jacobs Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); Best-Lucas House
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
(approx. 0.2 miles away); Frederich-Erhard House (approx. 0.2 miles away); George Fox House (approx. ¼ mile away); William and Adele Skinner House (approx. ¼ mile away); Boddeker House (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Galveston.
 
Categories. ArchitectureIndustry & CommerceMan-Made Features
 

More. Search the internet for James S. Waters House.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 12, 2019. This page originally submitted on November 12, 2019, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 42 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 12, 2019, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement