Galveston in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
John M. Jones House
John Maxwell Jones, a native of Delaware, came to Galveston in 1839 and opened a jewelry store on The Strand. Active in area commerce, he helped organize the First National Bank of Galveston. His wife Henrietta was the daughter of French composer Jacques Offenbach. This Greek Revival house served as their home prior to 1867. It was later owned by banker Henry Rosenberg, businessman Joe Levy, and County Judge E. B. Holman.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1979
Erected 1979 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7498.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Man-Made Features. A significant historical year for this entry is 1839.
Location. 29° 17.927′ N, 94° 47.102′ W. Marker is in Galveston, Texas, in Galveston County. Marker is at the intersection of Avenue M and 18th Street, on the right when traveling east on Avenue M. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1725 Avenue M, Galveston TX 77550, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Franklin-Wandless House (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); William J. Killeen HouseLasker Home for Children (approx. 0.2 miles away); Adriance-Springer House (approx. 0.2 miles away); George Dealey (approx. ¼ mile away); Galveston Orphans Home (approx. ¼ mile away); Henry C. Henck, Jr. House (approx. ¼ mile away); Galveston Children's Home (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Galveston.
More about this marker. Marker is on a post in the house's front yard.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 15, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 12, 2019, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 139 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on November 12, 2019, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. 2, 3. submitted on August 15, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.