Coventry in Tolland County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
The Tracy Shoddy Mill
The history of this mill site started in April of 1812 when Fitch, McClean and Gilbert built a paper mill “five rods south of the grist mill.” The purity of the water was noted for making writing and accounting paper. In 1820 the mill produced 1,430 reams of paper (by hand) at a cost of four dollars and twelve cents a ream. Just downstream was a carding mill built by Ebenezer Bacon and later owned by John Boynton. About 1828 Calvin & Royal Manning acquired the site and lease it to Alexander & Thompson until 1830 when Thomas & James Dike purchased the site. They soon converted the mill to make common sheeting. The paper mill failed because paper-making machinery came into being that superseded the hand laid process. The Dikes also owned property on the north side of Main Street, and the area was known as “Dikes Village” for many years. The depression of 1837 contributed to their failure, and the mill was sold to J.W. Boynton and in 1838, to his father John Boynton.
The mill fell into disrepair after Boynton’s financial failure. Tolland Bank, which acquired the site from a foreclosure, rented to William
In 1882 Mr. Tracy acquired the site and expanded it greatly. He installed one of the first telephones in town in his office that year. By 1903 the complex included twenty buildings on this site and three across (north) Main Street. One of the buildings across the street was the mill office which houses the Bidwell Tavern today.
After the Depression and before becoming a tavern the building was the Town Clerk’s office. The buildings on site were used for storage, bagging, washing, drying, picking and dusting the material. Water power was still used with storm management. The brook was partially covered at the lake in the month of June, 1908. The E.A. Tracy Company was incorporated with the profits used from the sale of 500 shares. The officers were Eugene Tracy, William Tracy, Frank Tracy, and Thomas B. Flaherty, owner of the Bidwell House.
In January of 1923 Mr. Dexter Elliot of Thompson provided $50,000 in cash and a mortgage loan and the company became the
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce.
Location. 41° 46.089′ N, 72° 18.165′ W. Marker is in Coventry, Connecticut, in Tolland County. Marker is on Main St 0.2 miles east of Monument Hill Rd, on the right when traveling east. Located just west of Mill Brook Park entrance. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1267 Main St, Coventry CT 06238, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. E.A. Tracy Wool Extract and Shoddy Mill (here, next to this marker); The Bidwell House (within shouting distance of this marker); Thomas H. Wood’s Silk Mill (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Washburn Mill & The Visitor’s Center (about 400 feet away); South Coventry Village (about 400 feet away); Warfield Pond (about 500 feet away); The First Congregational Church (about 700 feet away); John Boynton’s Mill (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Coventry.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 13, 2019. It was originally submitted on November 13, 2019, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. This page has been viewed 70 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 13, 2019, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. • Michael Herrick was the editor who published this page.