Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Elko in Elko County, Nevada — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Growth and Industry

 
 
Growth and Industry Marker image. Click for full size.
By Theresa Hilton Small, November 14, 2019
1. Growth and Industry Marker
Inscription.  Elko was named county seat when Elko County was formed March 5, 1869. The creation of a new county, carved out of neighboring counties, was necessary to handle the fast-growing mining communities in northeastern Nevada. A brick courthouse was completed in late December 1869 at Sixth and Idaho (on the site of the present courthouse). Later, a jail was added next to the building. In 1910, the old courthouse was replaced with a more modern facility and is now listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Additional buildings were added to the courthouse complex in 1994 and 2010.

By late 1916, Elko had grown to the point of wanting self governance instead of being under the leadership of Elko County Commissioners. The City of Elko was incorporated in 1917. A mayor, J.A. McBride, and city council were elected and took office May 1, 1917. To this day, a city council and mayor form of government operates the city and establishes city laws and policies.

Leather craftsman G.S. Garcia came to Elko in 1896 and established a world-class saddle shop. He won a gold medal at the St. Louis World's Fair for his

Growth and Industry Marker in middle of three. image. Click for full size.
By Theresa Hilton Small, November 14, 2019
2. Growth and Industry Marker in middle of three.
craftsmanship in 1904 and again in 1905 in Portland, Oregon. Garcia became internationally famous for his leather goods as well as his silver bits and spurs in his shop at 542 Commercial Street. Many of his apprentices became well known for their own work, including Joe Capriola who opened his own shop in 1929. J.M. Caprioloa Co. is recognized worldwide for their high quality craftsmanship, making saddles for local cowboys as well as Ronald Raegan, Sylvester Stallone and Harrison Ford. They have been making these quality products since 1929 at Fifth and Commercial.

Ranching has been an important part of Elko since the town's beginning. Since Gold Rush times, cattlemen knew of the thick grasses in the mountain pastures. A drought in California in , the early 1870s forced many ranchers eastward over the Sierras and into the Great Basin and Elko County. Successful cattlemen such as Dan Murphy, John Sparks, Pedro and Bernardo Altube, George Russell, “Broadhorns” Bradley, Bill Moffat and others bought or homesteaded large tracts of land and established the cattle industry in Elko County. Elko, centrally located on the railroad, became the center for all a cattleman's needs as well as a shipping point to markets. Today, the ranching industry contributes great economic value to the region.
 
Erected

Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
2017 by the City of Elko.
 
Location. 40° 50.013′ N, 115° 45.633′ W. Marker is in Elko, Nevada, in Elko County. Marker is at the intersection of Railroad Street and 7th Street, on the right when traveling north on Railroad Street. Located in Elko Railroad Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Railroad Street, Elko NV 89801, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Early Inhabitants (here, next to this marker); Education (here, next to this marker); The Railroad (within shouting distance of this marker); Entertainment (within shouting distance of this marker); Missouri Flats (within shouting distance of this marker); Pioneer Saloon and Hotel (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Elko County High School (about 700 feet away); Elko Independent (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Elko.
 
More about this marker. 7th Street, between Commercial & Railroad Streets, was closed off to combine the two portions of the park.
 
Categories. Government & PoliticsIndustry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers
 

More. Search the internet for Growth and Industry.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 15, 2019. This page originally submitted on November 14, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 56 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 14, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement