Pflugerville in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Henry Pfluger (1803-67), who migrated from Germany to Texas in 1849-50, moved his large family here in 1853. Other settlers joined them, and in 1872 a school was begun on Henry Lisso's farm. Immanuel Lutheran Church was founded in 1874. Primarily a farming settlement, Pflugerville had no commercial businesses until 1890, when Louis Bohls built a general store. A post office was opened there in 1893 with Bohls as postmaster. In 1891 two community organizations were formed: the German-American Mutual Assurance Association, to insure townspeople against natural disasters; and "Pflugerville Schuetzen and Kegel Verain," a shooting and bowling club.
The village began to grow when the Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railroad arrived in 1904, George Pfluger (1834-1910) and his son Albert (1878-1969) platted the townsite, and George donated land for a train depot and a school. Early businesses included drugstores, groceries, a hotel, grist mill, cotton gin, ice factory and Archie Ward started a telephone system. Farmers State Bank, chartered in 1906, became First State Bank in 1933. A newspaper "The Pflugerville Press," was published from 1907
In 1958-62, the Pflugerville High School football team gained national fame by winning 55 consecutive games.
Erected 1976 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15053.)
Location. 30° 26.435′ N, 97° 37.361′ W. Marker is in Pflugerville, Texas, in Travis County. Marker is on South Third Street, on the right when traveling south. Marker is located in front of the Pflugerville Chamber of Commerce. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 South 3rd Street, Pflugerville TX 78660, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Immanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church (approx. 0.9 miles away); Bohls House (approx. 0.9 miles away); Evangelical Lutheran Church of Dessau (approx. 2.9 miles away); The Gault Homestead (approx. 3.4 miles away); Merrilltown Cemetery (approx. 4.4 miles away); Bratton Cemetery (approx. 4½ miles away); Walnut Creek Baptist Church (approx. 4.7 miles away); Klattenhoff House (approx. 5.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pflugerville.
Categories. • Education • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers • Sports •
More. Search the internet for Pflugerville.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 19, 2019. This page originally submitted on December 20, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 837 times since then and 4 times this year. Last updated on November 19, 2019, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. Photos: 1. submitted on December 20, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. 2. submitted on November 19, 2019, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.