Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Upton in Acton MRC, Quebec — French Canadian Region
 

La Colonisation d'Upton / The Colonization of Upton

 
 
La Colonisation d'Upton / The Colonization of Upton Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, August 7, 2019
1. La Colonisation d'Upton / The Colonization of Upton Marker
Inscription.  
Français:
Le 21 mai 1800, le gouvernement canadien proclame le canton d'Upton et l'ouvre à la colonisation.

La construction du tronçon de chemin de fer de la compagnie Saint-Laurent et Atlantique, reliant Longueuil à Portland, Maine, favorisa le peuplement d'Upton. En 1851, le premier train rejoint Upton et la première gare est construite peu après.

Les premiers arrivants doivent rapidement se bâtir une maison de bois rond pour résister aux froids de l'hiver, défricher, essoucher, érocher leurs terres et construire des abris pour les animaux. On brûle les souches et les racines; la potasse obtenue est revendue ce qui représente un rare revenu pour les familles. Les premières années, la terre ne produisant pas assez pour faire vivre la famille, les colons chassent, trappent, récoltent noix, fruits sauvages et eau d'érable.

En 1852, le bureau de poste, désigné sous le nom de Soraba, ouvre ses portes. Ce nom gaélique lui vient du lieutenant-colonel Duncan McDougall, un militaire écossais, qui avait acquis, en 1836 et en 1849, d'importantes quantités de terres dans le canton d'Upton. C'est
Marker detail: Plan d’Upton en 1866 / Upton plan, 1866 image. Click for full size.
Source: Musée St-Éphrem
2. Marker detail: Plan d’Upton en 1866 / Upton plan, 1866
en grande partie sur ses terres que s'implante alors le village d'Upton. Parmi les premiers à s'installer aux environs, on compte des Écossais, des Irlandais, des Américains et, surtout, des Canadiens français.

Le 9 janvier 1854, la paroisse catholique Saint-Éphrem d'Upton est érigée canoniquement. L'église anglicane Christ Church et son cimetière sont construits, ici même, où se trouve actuellement le stationnement de la salle communautaire. En 1855, l'Acte des municipalités et des chemins du Bas-Canada, base du système municipal actuel, officialise la municipalité de paroisse. Saint-Éphrem d'Upton.

L'agriculture se développe de même que les commerces et les industries. L'activité économique, sociale et religieuse est d'abord concentrée autour des moulins, du magasin général et du manoir d' Anthony MacEvilla (où se trouve actuellement le Théâtre de la Dame de Cœur) et de la première chapelle catholique, bénie en 1856. Rapidement, un deuxième pôle de développement se met en place autour de la gare. Des commerces de biens et services et des industries s'y implantent dont deux tanneries, la manufacture de tanin Miller Extracts of Bark et la Banque Jacques-Cartier.

En 1871, une vingtaine d'années après l'arrivée des premiers résidents permanents, Upton comptait déjà 1 309 catholiques et 83 protestants.

Les
Marker detail: Appel de soumissions pour la construction de la station ferroviaire d'Upton, 1851 image. Click for full size.
Source: Société d'histoire de la région d'Acton
3. Marker detail: Appel de soumissions pour la construction de la station ferroviaire d'Upton, 1851
Call for bids for the construction of the Upton railway station,
June 20, 1851
protestants ayant progressivement quitté le village, l'église anglicane est démolie vers 1916 et le cimetière est déménagé à Acton Vale, sur le site de l'église anglicane, vers 1950.

English translation (Google):
On May 21, 1800, the Canadian government proclaimed Upton Township and opened it up to colonization.

The construction of the St. Lawrence and Atlantic railway section from Longueuil to Portland, Maine, favoured the settlement of Upton. In 1851, the first train reached Upton and the first station was built shortly thereafter.

The first arrivals had to quickly build a log house to withstand the cold winter, clear, slit, dig up their land and build shelters for animals. Strains and roots are burned; the resulting potash is resold, which is a rare income for families. In the early years, the land did not produce enough to support the family, the settlers hunted, trapped, harvested nuts, wild fruits and maple water.

In 1852, the post office, known as Soraba, opened its doors. This Gaelic name comes from Lieutenant-Colonel Duncan McDougall, a Scottish soldier, who had acquired large amounts of land in Upton Township in 1836 and 1849. The village of Upton was largely established on its land. Among the first to settle in the area were Scots, Irish, Americans and, above all, French Canadians.

On January
Marker detail: La gare d’Upton / Upton Station image. Click for full size.
Source: Société d'histoire de la région d'Acton
4. Marker detail: La gare d’Upton / Upton Station
9, 1854, the Catholic parish of St. Ephrem of Upton was canonically erected. The Christ Church Anglican Church and cemetery were being built right here, where the community hall parking lot is currently located. In 1855, the The Municipalities and Roads of Lower Canada, the basis of the current municipal system, formalized the parish municipality. Saint Ephrem of Upton.

Agriculture is growing, as are businesses and industries. Economic, social and religious activity was primarily concentrated around the mills, the general store and Anthony MacEvilla's mansion (where the Theatre of the Lady of Hearts) and the first Catholic chapel, blessed in 1856, is located. Quickly, a second development hub was set up around the station. Goods and services businesses and industries are established, including two tanneries, the tannin factory Miller Extracts of Bark and the Banque Jacques-Cartier.

By 1871, some 20 years after the arrival of the first permanent residents, Upton already had 1,309 Catholics and 83 Protestants.

As the Protestants gradually left the village, the Anglican church was demolished around 1916 and the cemetery moved to Acton Vale, on the site of the Anglican church, around 1950.
 
Erected by Le circuit patrimonial d'Upton / The Upton Heritage Circuit.
 
Location.
La Colonisation d'Upton / The Colonization of Upton Marker<br>(<i>wide view • looking east</i>) image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, August 7, 2019
5. La Colonisation d'Upton / The Colonization of Upton Marker
(wide view • looking east)
45° 38.982′ N, 72° 41.65′ W. Marker is in Upton, Quebec, in Acton MRC. Marker is on Rue Lanoie just north of Rue Principale (Main Street) (Quebec Route 116), on the right when traveling north. Marker is located beside the sidewalk. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Upton, Quebec J0H 2E0, Canada. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 21 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Le Magasin Général Upton / The Upton General Store (within shouting distance of this marker); Acton Vale Station (approx. 10.2 kilometers away); Des ormes et des hommes / Elms and Men (approx. 19.5 kilometers away).
 
Categories. Churches & ReligionRailroads & StreetcarsSettlements & Settlers
 

More. Search the internet for La Colonisation d'Upton / The Colonization of Upton.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 20, 2019. This page originally submitted on November 20, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 44 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 20, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.
Paid Advertisement