Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Lafayette in Walker County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

La Fayette Presbyterian Church

 
 
La Fayette Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, November 20, 2019
1. La Fayette Presbyterian Church Marker
Inscription.  Citizens of the village of Chattooga organized Ebenezer Church on August 12, 1836. Charter members included: John McWhorter, Johnathan Fielding, William Henry, Sara Henry, Filis (slave of the Henry's), Andrew L. Barry, Margaret I. Barry, James McWhorter, Temperance McWhorter, Sarah McWhorter, Lidia Dickson, Elizabeth Fielding, Susan (slave of the Fielding's) Abner H. Mize, Mary Mize, Mary H. Smith, Elizabeth Beaty, Isaac N. Swan, and Amanda Love. After Chattooga was rechristened La Fayette (1836) in honor of the Revolutionary war hero, Marquis de La Fayette, the church was renamed La Fayette Presbyterian Church (1841). The present sanctuary was built in 1848. On June 24, 1864, during the American Civil War a battle was fought in La Fayette. The Presbyterian Church was used as a field hospital during and following the battle. In 1883 the church building was repaired from the damage caused during the war. In 1922-1923, the church was rebricked in the cream-colored brick. Thus, the present sanctuary walls are three bricks thick. The basement was dug by the men of the church in 1942. In 1972, a Fellowship Hall, additional classrooms and office space
La Fayette Presbyterian Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, November 20, 2019
2. La Fayette Presbyterian Church and Marker
were added to the rear of the old building. The congregation remains an inclusive church with a warm welcome to all.
He has shown you, O mortal, what is good, And what does the Lord require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God, Micah 6:8

 
Location. 34° 42.354′ N, 85° 16.922′ W. Marker is in Lafayette, Georgia, in Walker County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street and Withers Street West, on the left when traveling north on North Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 107 North Main Street, La Fayette GA 30728, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Chattooga Academy (was approx. 0.2 miles away but has been reported missing. ); The Battle of LaFayette (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Army of Tennessee (approx. 0.2 miles away); Walker County (approx. 0.2 miles away); John B. Gordon Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); To Our Confederate Soldiers (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bragg's Headquarters Shell Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away); General LaFayette (approx. 0.2 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Marking church’s history - The Walker County Messenger. (Submitted on November 20, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
Categories. Churches & ReligionWar, US Civil
 
La Fayette Presbyterian Church Marker looking north on Main Street. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, November 20, 2019
3. La Fayette Presbyterian Church Marker looking north on Main Street.
 

More. Search the internet for La Fayette Presbyterian Church.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 20, 2019. This page originally submitted on November 20, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 39 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 20, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement