McKinney in Collin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Collin County Prison
Designed by F.E. Ruffini, architect of numerous public buildings in Texas in the late 19th century, this High Victorian Italianate structure served as the Collin County prison for 99 years. Completed in 1880, it was modified in 1938 with funds from the federal Public Works Administration. Prominent features of the building include its bracketed cornice and arched windows. It is one of the few F.E. Ruffini structures remaining in the state.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1990
Erected 1990 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 950.)
Location. 33° 11.803′ N, 96° 36.946′ W. Marker is in McKinney, Texas, in Collin County. Marker is on South Kentucky Street 0 miles south of West Louisiana Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 115 South Kentucky Street, McKinney TX 75069, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Stone Dam at Allen Station (approx. 6.2 miles away); Allen Cemetery (approx. 7.3 miles away); Coffman Cemetery Plano High School and Gymnasium (approx. 13.2 miles away); Texas Electric Railway Station (approx. 13.2 miles away); First Christian Church of Plano (approx. 13.2 miles away); Mantua (approx. 13.3 miles away).
Categories. • Architecture • Law Enforcement • Man-Made Features •
More. Search the internet for Collin County Prison.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 21, 2019. This page originally submitted on November 20, 2019, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. This page has been viewed 49 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 20, 2019, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.