New York in New York County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
242 & 244 West 4th Street
242 & 244
This pair of five-story apartment
houses were erected in 1884
for Thomas J. Jeremiah and
were designed in the Neo-Grec
style by well-known architect
John. B. Snook who designed the
first Grand Central Station.
Erected by Greenwich Village Historic District.
Location. 40° 44.079′ N, 74° 0.189′ W. Marker is in New York, New York, in New York County. Marker is on West 4th Street near West 10th Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 242-244 West 4th Street, New York NY 10014, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Samuel Whittemore House (within shouting distance of this marker); Woody Guthrie (within shouting distance of this marker); Sinclair Lewis (within shouting distance of this marker); Hart Crane (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church (about 400 feet away); Hartwick Seminary (about 400 feet away); The Hess Triangle (about 400 feet away); The Stonewall Inn (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New York.
Also see . . . John B. Snook at Wikipedia. John B. Snook was best known for cast-iron architecture. (Submitted on November 23, 2019, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
Categories. • Architecture •
More. Search the internet for 242 & 244 West 4th Street.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 24, 2019. This page originally submitted on November 23, 2019, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. This page has been viewed 39 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 23, 2019, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. • Michael Herrick was the editor who published this page.