Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Glasgow in Valley County, Montana — The American West (Mountains)
 

First National Bank of Glasgow

 
 
First National Bank of Glasgow Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, August 15, 2019
1. First National Bank of Glasgow Marker
Inscription.  Glasgow merchants John and Robert Lewis did not face much competition when they opened a bank in a corner of their general store in 1891. Their bank was the only one within over two hundred miles. Despite an initial lack of experience, the Lewis brothers successfully steered the enterprise through economic shoals that doomed many other Montana banks: the panics of 1893 and 1907 and the agricultural depression of the 1920s. During Glasgow’s boom years, the bank thrived, moving first to a brick building in 1900 and then, amidst the homesteading boom, to this Beaux Arts business block. National banks, prohibited from investing in real estate other than their own buildings, often constructed banks with surplus office space. First National Bank of Glasgow was no exception. Designed by prominent St. Paul architects Charles Buechner and Henry Orth, this 1914 building housed retail stores and the bank on the first floor and business offices and an apartment for Robert Lewis on the second floor. The two-story building displays the symmetrical façade and exuberant ornamentation associated with the Beaux Arts style: entry porches with roofs supported by
First National Bank of Glasgow snd Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, August 15, 2019
2. First National Bank of Glasgow snd Marker
The marker is on the left side of the building, behind the white car.
graceful Corinthian columns, second-floor balconies, elaborated pilasters, and decorative terra-cotta detailing. Built on the community’s busiest street, both for security (to deter bank robbers) and for customer convenience, the building helped mark Glasgow’s coming of age. Its architecture expressed a solidity, stability, and grandeur that symbolized safety and permanence, both for the bank and for the community itself.
 
Erected by Montana Historical Society; Department of the Interior, National Register of Historic Places.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Montana National Register Sign Program marker series.
 
Location. 48° 11.681′ N, 106° 38.184′ W. Marker is in Glasgow, Montana, in Valley County. Marker is on 5th Street South near 1st Avenue South. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 110 5th Street South, Glasgow MT 59230, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 16 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Old Milk River Bridge and Tampico (approx. 11.7 miles away); The Ice Ages (approx. 14.1 miles away); Liquid Gold (approx. 14.1 miles away); Old Fort Peck (approx. 15.2 miles away); Fort Peck Administration Building (approx. 15½ miles away).
 
More about this marker. The marker is on the east side of the building near the entrance.
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceNotable Buildings
 

More. Search the internet for First National Bank of Glasgow.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 25, 2019. This page originally submitted on November 25, 2019, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 42 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 25, 2019, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.
Paid Advertisement