Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Near Fort Peck in Valley County, Montana — The American West (Mountains)
 

Old Fort Peck

 
 
Old Fort Peck Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, August 15, 2019
1. Old Fort Peck Marker
Inscription.  On the west bank of the Missouri River about 1 mile from the Dam was located Old Fort Peck.The stockade about 300 feet square with walls 12 feet high of cottonwood logs set vertically, 3 bastions and 3 gateways on the front, and 2 bastions on the rear, enclosed quarters for men, store houses, blacksmith shops, stables and corral. Built in 1867 by the firm of Durfee & Peck as a trading post, the fort was named for Colonel Campbell K. Peck. Although not an Army post, it often served as temporary headquarters for military men and commissioners sent out by the Government to negotiate with the Indians.
To peaceful Indians it was an important trading post, to trappers and rivermen a safe shelter from warlike Indians. Stern wheel steamers loaded and unloaded here and took on wood for steam for their journeys.
Old Fort Peck is history. Its site lies peacefully, with its memories, covered by a man made lake which is formed by the largest earth filled dam ever built by man.
 
Erected by Montana Department of Transportation.
 
Location. 48° 0.048′ 
Old Fort Peck Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, August 15, 2019
2. Old Fort Peck Marker
N, 106° 28.809′ W. Marker is near Fort Peck, Montana, in Valley County. Marker is at the intersection of State Highway 24 at milepost 59 and Missouri Avenue (County Road 117) on State Highway 24. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Peck MT 59223, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 16 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Peck Administration Building (approx. 1.7 miles away); First National Bank of Glasgow (approx. 15.2 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Old Fort Peck -- FortPeckDam.com. In 1871 the Milk River Indian Agency was moved to Fort Peck from its former location at the mouth of People's Creek on the Milk River. This Agency represented the Assinboine, Brule, Teton, Hunkpapa and Yanktonai Sioux Tribes. Thus the stockade remained a combination trading post and Indian Agency until 14 July 1879 when the Agency was moved to the Poplar Creek and the trading post abandoned. (Submitted on November 26, 2019, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.) 
 
Categories. Forts, Castles
 
Old Fort Peck image. Click for full size.
By Arthur H. Buckley
3. Old Fort Peck
 

More. Search the internet for Old Fort Peck.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 26, 2019. This page originally submitted on November 26, 2019, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 38 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 26, 2019, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.
Paid Advertisement