Collinsville in Madison County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Blum House
The Blum House located at 414 West Main Street in Collinsville is a home closely connected with one of the town's most well known industries. Two of the three generations of the Blum family who operated the internationally known Blum Bell Factory lived in the house.
The property which is located immediately to the west of the Collinville Memorial Library Center is the site of a stately two-story frame house built circa 1906. The home with its distinct wrap-around porch is graced by huge pine trees on its front and side yards. These trees, according to Mrs. Helen Blum who lived in the house until 1997 were planted in the late 1930s replacing a group of maple trees. The house was built by J. Henry Blum and in that first decade of the 20th century was considered to be at the West edge of town.
The house has had a few changes since its origin. The sunroom on the east side of the home was added in the late 1920s.
Following J. Henry Blum's death in 1935 his widow Martha continued to live in the home. Their son, J. Henry and Helen Blum lived their entire married life in the home at 414
1997 to the present
In June 1997 after the death of Helen Downey Blum in January, the Collinsville Building and Loan purchased the house from Helen's daughter, Virginia and donated it to the Collinsville Memorial Library.
Through a Congressional grant secured by Representative Jay Hoffman major renovation including windows and siding were approved for the Blum House in 2004.
In December 2006 a debilitating ice storm did irreparable damage to many of the large pine trees on the grounds of the Blum House necessitating the removal of most of them.
Erected 2015 by Collinsville Memorial Library.
Location. 38° 40.092′ N, 89° 59.45′ W. Marker is in Collinsville, Illinois, in Madison County. Marker is on West Main Street just east of South Guernsey Street, on the right when traveling east. West Main Street is one-way. The house is next to the Collinsville Library. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 414 West Main Street, Collinsville IL 62234, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The D.D. Collins House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Collinsville (approx. 0.2 miles away); Stockade (approx. 3.7 miles away); Cahokia (approx. 3.7 miles away); Cahokia Mounds (approx. 3.8 miles away); Monks Mound (approx. 3.8 miles away); Grand Plaza (approx. 3.9 miles away); Mound 72 (approx. 4.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Collinsville.
Also see . . .
1. Blum House Information. From the Mississippi Valley Library District, this page talks more about the Blum House. Interior pictures are included. Be sure to scroll down for more links related to the house and the family. (Submitted on November 27, 2019, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.)
2. Blum cowbells. Long before Christopher Walken made the famous "More cowbell" phrase popular, the Blum Bell Factory was one of the leading makers of the cowbell. Virginia Gaines (mentioned on the marker) talks about her family's legacy. Pictures of Blum bells are featured. (Submitted on November 27, 2019, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
More. Search the internet for The Blum House.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 27, 2019. This page originally submitted on November 27, 2019, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. This page has been viewed 52 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 27, 2019, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.