Fairmount Heights in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Original Municipal Center
Historic Resource Built Circa 1942
— The Fairmount Heights African American Historic Trail —
The Fairmount Heights Municipal Center was constructed originally as a fire hall; it later was used as a health clinic, a library, a general meeting space and more importantly as the town hall. the lots on which it stood were purchased by the Town between 1939 and 1941. Two citizens undertook to erect a building to serve both as a fire house and a meeting place.
The Municipal Building Center was a two-part building, constructed of brick and concrete block. The main block was two-and-one-half stories and front gabled, fronting west on 60th Place. The gable front originally had a wide garage door in the first bay; it was partially filled in, and the closed inset space was lighted by a window. At the west end of the roof ridge stood a small gabled belfry which housed the original fire bell. Form stone veneer was applied to the first story of the west front, and form stone trim was applied around the window.
The main block was completed and in use by 1942; a fire engine was purchased and stored in the garage space on the first story. The second story was used as the town's principal meeting space. The south wing was built
In the 1990s, the town offices and meeting space were reestablished in the community building in Sylvan Vista and the Town of Fairmount Heights demolished the building.
Erected by The Town of Fairmount Heights, Maryland.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Charity & Public Work • Law Enforcement • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1939.
Location. 38° 53.943′ N, 76° 54.798′ W. Marker is in Fairmount Heights, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker is on 60th Place, 0.1 miles south of Addison Road, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 717 60th Place, Capitol Heights MD 20743, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Municipal Center Site (a few steps from this marker); Charity Hall (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fairmount Heights Elementary School (about 400 feet away); John S. Johnson House (about 400 feet away); The Masonic Lodge No. 92 / The Columbine Chapter No. 46 (about 500 feet away); Henry Pinckney House (about 500 feet away); Bungalow Row (about 600 feet away); Cornelius Fonville House (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fairmount Heights.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 13, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 29, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 83 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 29, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.